California to develop pathway to 2050 carbon neutrality

Published 00:43 on January 24, 2019  /  Last updated at 00:43 on January 24, 2019  /  Americas, International, US  /  1 Comment

California will kick off a series of workshops over the next year and a half to develop a strategy for becoming carbon neutral by mid-century, officials from regulator ARB said Wednesday, with the state still to figure out what role offsetting might play in that target.

California will kick off a series of workshops over the next year and a half to develop a strategy for becoming carbon neutral by mid-century, officials from regulator ARB said Wednesday, with the state still to figure out what role offsetting might play in that target.

A Carbon Pulse subscription is required to read this content. Subscribe today to access our unrivalled news and intelligence, as well as our premium content including all job listings. Click here for details.

We offer a FREE TRIAL of our subscription service and it only takes a minute to register. If you already have a Carbon Pulse account, login here.

1 Comment

  1. “For its 2045 carbon neutrality target, Sweden mandates that 85% of reductions must come from sources and sinks within the country’s geographic boundary, with investments abroad eligible for the remaining 15%.” is not an entirely correct description of the Swedish “climate-neutrality” goal.
    The decision means that by 2045 the domestic emissions shall be at least 85 per cent lower than 1990 – excluding sinks.
    To achieve neutrality, sinks and offset can be accounted for up to 15 5 av 1990 emissions, but when looking at the figures, all of this will easily be achieved only by accounting for the LULUCF sink. 15% fo the 1990 emissions is 10-11 Mton CO2eq. This figure can be related to the actual net sink in Swedish forests, which is above 40 Mton CO2eq per year and also to the EU LULUCF legislation which mandates Sweden to a sink of at least 30 Mton per year (the exact figure is still to be defined).
    Conclusion? The Swedish neutrality target will be achieved without using any offsets at all. The substance in the decision lies in the emission reduction of 85 %.
    Magnus Nilsson

Comment