C L I M A T E P A R T N E R
Call for Submissions
Carbon Offset Project Idea Note (PIN)
Volkswagen ClimatePartner GmbH (VCP) is a joint venture by VW Kraftwerk GmbH and ClimatePartner GmbH, aiming to develop and finance high-quality carbon offset projects.
Carbon offsets play a critical role in mitigating residual emissions on the pathway to net-zero impact, especially for hard to abate sources, while also providing valuable co-benefits to communities, creating better living conditions, and contributing toa healthier environment. In doing so, they support sustainable development with added social value that is in line with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
The goal of this call for submissions is to identify experienced partners to develop high-quality carbon offsets generated through the avoidance, reduction, or removal of greenhouse gases (quantified in terms of CO2-e) using natural or engineered solutions.
VCP is requesting submissions for opportunities to develop and acquire offsets generated from projects that lead to high-quality avoidance, reduction, or removal of CO2-e. We welcome multiple project submissions per respondent until December 31, 2022. Exclusive project ownership is preferred, but not required.
This call is focused on three different offset development and procurement options, including:
- Developing and financing projects at early- or mid-stage that are able to deliver first credits within the next three
- Developing project expansions that are able to deliver first credits within the next three
- Purchasing carbon offsets from mid- to late-stage projects.
What VCP Offers
We offer a wealth of expertise in developing and financing carbon offset projects around the world. We are interested in long-term partnerships with project initiators, authorities, operators, and local organizations who want to work with us on impactful projects that help protect the climate.
We support projects whose high standards of quality make them stand out. We are committed to strict certifications, transparent communication, and reporting, added social value and measurable success in terms of storing and reducing CO2. We also offer help and support with technological and regulatory activities in connection with the projects.
|Project idea note (PIN) submission
|Rolling until October 31st 2022
|Respondents can submit PINs in the format outlined here on a rolling basis to email@example.com
VCP is open to financing and acquiring offsets from all carbon offset types (avoided emissions, reductions, removals or mixed), but only to specific project types, namely those covered under nature-based solutions, renewable energy production, transport, or technical/engineered removals, with a preference for nature- based solutions. The following are key requirements for carbon offsets sourced by VCP.
Project developers should have experience working on or developing similar projects and provide detailed pricing information. Any projects submitted must ensure that they meet the criteria outlined below:
- Environmental & social benefits: Projects demonstrating additional benefits aligning with the SDGs, particularly community or ecosystem benefits, are strongly Additional labels such as CCBs, SD VISta or Social Carbon should be included with project certification.
- Legal ownership: Project proponents must have a clear legal right to develop the project andgenerate, sell, and transfer any offsets issued from the project on an ex-post basis and in a manner consistent with the Paris Agreement through the securing of corresponding adjustments, or have a clear and viable plan to obtain these rights for projects proposed or under
- Standards & methodologies: Projects must be verified or have a clear pathway to verification bymajor voluntary offset standards. Certification under the Verified Carbon Standard and the Gold Standard are preferred, but project opportunities registered under other standards (e.g., CDM, CAR, ACR, GCC, Cercarbono, Plan Vivo, ) will also be considered. In the case of technical removals, new fuels or other emerging technologies, project concepts with a long-term pathway to certification or methodology development are also welcome.
- Adherence to ICROA offsetting principles: Carbon credits from proposed projects should be real, measurable, permanent, additional, independently verified, and unique.
- Project size: VCP prefers large-scale or large grouped projects that are able to generate 500,000 tonnes per year. However, VCP is open to considering projects that are able to generate a minimum of 250,000 tonnes per year immediately upon registration or that has the potential to scale up to a project of this size within three years.
- Project delivery timeline: For late-stage projects, calendar year 2022 or 2023 and subsequent For early-stage projects or project expansions, the project should be capable of generating VERs within three years.
- Lighthouse projects: In parallel we look for innovative niche projects, having strong links to localsocial or environmental benefits or that promote new Such projects will be considered as lighthouse projects and may generate smaller volumes than those outlined above.
While VCP intends to prioritize projects from countries in which Volkswagen operates production facilities, VCP is willing to consider submissions from projects based in any country.
For further details and contacts, click here.