Location: Berlin, Germany
Application deadline: August 31, 2019.
Earliest starting date: as soon as possible.
About the position: CDP is looking for a Campaign Manager to lead the execution of the 1.5C campaign in coordination with the other We Mean Business (WMB) coalition partners, Science Based Targets (SBT) initiative, and other relevant organisations. The Campaign Manager will be responsible for finalizing and delivering on the campaign strategy to raise corporate ambition to 1.5°C.
The campaign manager will be part of CDP’s global climate team reporting to the Director, Science Based Targets with a dotted reporting line to WMB’s Corporate Engagement Director. There position is based in Berlin. For the right candidate other locations (e.g. London) may be considered.
About the 1.5°C Campaign: In October of 2018, the Inter-governmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) released a Special Report on Global Warming of 1.5ºC (SR15), which presented a clear and compelling case about the societal and environmental benefits of limiting anthropogenic warming to 1.5ºC, as well as the significant risks of exceeding this threshold, even by half a degree. In response to this, a broad set of organisations including the We Mean Business Coalition, Science Based Targets (SBT) initiative and others, came together to conceptualise and drive a collaborative campaign intended to build momentum behind 1.5°C within the corporate sector by driving the adoption of 1.5°C science-based targets and net-zero by 2050 commitments. The campaign will run until the end of 2020.
II. Essential Responsibilities
• Lead the design and delivery of the 1.5°C Campaign, including finalizing the strategy and overseeing coordination with partners to finalize strategy development and lead implementation to achieve campaign goals;
• Lead the process with the partners to align on what net zero means for the corporate sector, finalizing the commitment, and the principles and guidance to help companies make ambitious net zero by 2050 commitments and credible claims
• Oversee the development of campaign tools, content and products such as advocacy packs, presentations and other briefing materials for internal and external use;
• Leverage and support capacity within theWe Mean Business coalition, SBTi and other partners to deliver on the campaign strategy. The Campaign Manager will act as focal point between the WMB Transformation Teams and the relevant Working Groups of the campaign to enhance information flow and connectivity between the partners and ensure follow through on campaign tactics;
• In collaboration with Corporate Engagement staff within the Campaign Working Group, Transformation Teams and other topical working groups, the Campaign Manager will develop and coordinate a strategy for recruiting and showcasing “first movers”, with a focus on priority countries and key value chains, and will engage directly with a set of influential companies to recruit them to sign the pledge
• In collaboration with Policy experts within the Campaign Working Group, Transformation Teams and other topical working groups, the Campaign Manager will nurture and leverage relationships with Campaign signatories to support policy-influencing opportunities where WMB partners are involved in key countries (e.g. EU, Germany,Poland, UK, US, India, Japan,China );
• In collaboration with communications staff within the Campaign Working Group and the WMB secretariat, the Campaign Manager will leverage campaign signatories to support strategic communication and media influencing opportunities;
III. Required experience
• Advanced degree in sustainability, climate change, environmental studies, or related field is required.
• Minimum 5-7 years of corporate engagement or corporate campaigning experience, preferably on climate, environment or related issue
• Experience planning and managing campaigns including policy advocacy and communications work.
• Experience working in the private sector preferred, and on climate or sustainability
• Demonstrated experience managing complex projects and multi-stakeholder partnerships, including with colleagues based in various locations
• Good understanding of climate science and corporate GHG accounting
• Experience and ability to present / explain technical topics to a wide range of stakeholders at various levels in the organization
• Strong understanding and ability to analyze, synthesize complex and technical information, and make recommendations to inform strategic focus and direction
• Ability to juggle multiple and competing priorities and balance day to day tasks with strategic, longer term goals and timelines
• Seasoned collaboration and relationship management skills with ability to achieve desired goals and impact working effectively across a diverse set of partners and priorities
• Effective written and oral communication skills with ability to communicate diplomatically in a diverse, multi-cultural environment
• Self-starter with ability to work independently and effectively, generating high quality work with minimal supervision
• Ability to convene and facilitate discussions among senior stakeholders.
• Flexibility and nimbleness
• Ability to perform within a distributed team
• Strong time management and prioritization skills
• Comfortable managing up, down, and across
• Experience and comfort using connectivity tools—Skype, Slack, Zoom, etc.
What we offer:
• Working in one of the fastest growing initiatives driving climate action within the corporate sector;
• Exciting and challenging tasks in a dynamic, international, innovative and highly motivated team;
• Competitive NGO salary;
• Attractive holidays to be determined based on location;
Interested candidates should submit their application documents (motivation letter, CV, references/certificates, etc. ) in English, as a single PDF and via email to Jessica Roman (Jessica.email@example.com) with “Application – 1.5°C Campaign Manager” in the subject line. Please make sure to indicate in your motivation letter: current residence, availability to work in Europe, salary expectations and earliest starting date.
Before you apply
We’ll only use the information you provide to process your application. For more details on how we use your information, see our applicant’s privacy notice. By emailing us your application, you are permitting CDP to use the information you have provided for recruitment purposes.
About We Mean Business: A global coalition of non-profit organizations – CDP, BSR, Ceres, Corporate Leaders Group, The B Team, The Climate Group, World Business Council for Sustainable Development – working with the world’s most influential businesses to take action on climate change. We Mean Business catalyses business action to drive policy ambition and accelerate the transition to a low-carbon economy. Please visit wemeanbusinesscoalition.org to find out more.
About the Science Based Targets initiative: The Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) is a joint initiative between CDP, UN Global Compact, the World Resources Institute, and World Wildlife Fund, aiming to catalyse change towards a net-zero economy by driving the adoption of GHG emission reduction targets in the corporate sector that are consistent with the ambition required to keep temperature increase well-below 2°C, as stipulated in the Paris Agreement. Over 590 of the world’s largest and most influential companies have joined the Science Based Targets initiative to date. Please visit sciencebasedtargets.org to find out more.