Taking Root is an international social enterprise on a mission to regenerate the world’s tropical forests. We do this by developing highly impactful reforestation projects on behalf of brands to help them meet their climate commitments. Taking Root’s unique impact comes from our use of technology to direct companies’ climate investments into verified forest impacts with farmer groups. Our innovative technology platform provides third-party forest and carbon reporting by combining local and satellite data with machine learning. This means companies have the information they need to invest in reforestation with confidence while ensuring farmers get paid for the trees they grow. Taking Root is driving reforestation with leading multinational and environmental brands in 9 countries across all 3 tropical continents. Find out more about Taking Root and our technology platform.
About the Position
Taking Root’s Methodology and Standards department is responsible for project certification activities, and successful project certification allows for the generation of carbon credits and revenue for the farmers we work with. The Market Certification Lead plays a key part in ensuring that Taking Root’s carbon projects and products are aligned with our projects’ certifications, principally the Plan Vivo Standard. Our projects are certified mainly through reporting activities, especially through developing project design documents and performing field verifications. Reporting to the Director of Methodology and Standards, this role is critical in leading and managing these certification activities so that our projects can continue to plant trees into the future.
This is a full-time position, and we are open to full-time remote work within Canada. Our office is in Vancouver, BC, and is available for employees who prefer in-person settings. Salary is competitive and based on experience. We work with a diverse set of international partners and especially encourage Indigenous Peoples, members of racial minorities, people with disabilities, LGBTQIA2S+, and members of other underrepresented groups to apply.
Leads certification reporting for Taking Root’s new and established projects through:
• Managing individual contributors
• Ensuring the timely completion of deliverables
• Contributing to and editing the report (reporting includes Project Design Documents, Project Information Notes, and Annual Reports)
• Gathering information from internal and external stakeholders for content
• Working closely with standards to ensure that our reporting fulfills the requirements
• Establishes processes for reducing friction in reporting through:
• Supporting the product team in creating automated reporting products
• Templating reports
• Creating replicable project management workflows
• Supports teams in implementing certification requirements through:
• Creating recommendations to other teams to fulfill and exceed certification requirements
• Acquiring a deep understanding of our scientific, operation and technology product.
• Embarking on field visits to our projects during verification visits
• Perform internal compliance exercises at regular intervals on our projects
Make recommendations to leadership on aligning with additional certifications through research, webinars, conferences participation in industry groups, etc
Skills, Qualifications, and Experience required:
We especially encourage those with unconventional experience, education, or career paths to apply, even if you may not meet the precise requirements listed in this posting.
• At least 5 years of experience in project management and reporting;
• Experience in relevant fields including, but not limited to, forestry, agroforestry, carbon management, environmental sciences, agriculture, political science, international relations, and business;
• Voluntary carbon market work experience for afforestation/reforestation projects is a strong asset (PV, GS, Verra).
• A track record of organizational and project management work is an asset.
• Ability to create and manage project plans while achieving targets and deadlines
• Can lead and bring to success the creation of large technical reports
• Skilled at synthesis, can take information from multiple stakeholders and reconciles it for reporting.
• Can provide implementable solutions to tackle gaps between certifications and operations.
• A strong editor that can spot inconsistencies in numbers and narratives
• Willing and able to travel to project sites at least twice a year.
• Concise communication and writing skills.
Our Ideal candidate also has some or all of the following:
• 7 years or more of relevant work experience
• A Master’s Degree in a related field.
• Significant previous international living and work experience
• Can speak Spanish and/or French
• Experience in project design, field monitoring, measurement, reporting, and verification
• Experience working with smallholder farmers in the tropics
• Understanding of Forest Science, Forest Carbon Quantification and Mensuration
• Experience with the project management tool Clickup
How to apply
Submit a cover letter and resume via our portal. We value every application; however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Taking Root has a diverse team of talented people across gender and racial spectrums. We have created a culture of innovation, diversity, and inclusivity, striving for open discussions, best hiring and operational practices. We hire and promote based on merit, competence, performance, successful milestones, and business needs. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind, be that based on race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, ancestry, disability, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal or provincial laws.