Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous, and more productive planet.
The Senior Manager, Greenhouse Gas Accounting Strategies brings technical expertise on greenhouse gas (GHG) accounting to Conservation International and our work with companies. They are sought as an institutional expert, providing critical analysis, raising organizational capacity, and representing the organization externally in related fora.
Situated within the Center for Natural Climate Solutions (NCS), they serve as a technical advisor to corporate partnerships and the organization on climate change, and particularly GHG accounting. The Senior Manager will provide expertise across a range of corporate partnerships on the robustness of GHG accounting and related climate change commitments, and advise on the credibility of associated corporate claims. They will also provide technical leadership for Conservation International’s internal GHG accounting and reporting efforts in support of climate change commitments, as well as support organizational capacity building on GHG accounting. They will serve as an internal and external authority on GHG accounting-related multistakeholder initiatives (e.g. the Science-Based Targets Initiative and GHG Protocol), coordinating and aligning internal perspectives on such methodologies.
This position does not directly supervise staff but may oversee work of other team members on tasks as needed. This is a two-year position with the potential to extend. Strong preference given to candidates based in Arlington, VA, or Seattle, WA.
- Provide technical expertise within CI on ideal commitments and performance of companies on GHG accounting (scopes 1-3) and reporting, including setting science-based targets.
- Contribute to CI’s engagement in GHG accounting-related multistakeholder initiatives.
- Facilitate technical reviews of consultation documents from external partners on issues related to GHG accounting, corporate claims, and science-based targets.
- Advise on the ways in which the private sector can integrate natural climate solutions into climate strategies and plans.
- Review and provide input to corporate partnerships as needed on the robustness and credibility of GHG accounting and related climate change commitments.
- Significantly contribute to internal CI efforts to sharpen the organization’s GHG accounting and reporting efforts in support of organizational climate change commitments.
- Spearhead organizational capacity building on GHG accounting.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- This position will be based in Arlington, VA, or Seattle, WA, preferably. Remote within other US locations is possible.
- Some travel is required (~10-15% of time).
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant combination of education and experience.
- 5-7 years of related work experience.
- Demonstrated experience in applying greenhouse gas accounting methodologies for companies or other organizations.
- Experience raising funds from and managing relationships with corporations and/or other institutional donors.
- Knowledge of current trends in corporate sustainability.
- Superb interpersonal skills, including the ability to listen, use diplomacy and tact, and build strong working relationships, particularly in matrixed organizational structures.
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills, including demonstrated ability to analyze and synthesize complex information for lay audiences.
- Subject matter expertise on agricultural supply chains and/or natural climate solutions.
- Experience preparing GHG accounts or establishing science-based targets.
- Foreign language proficiency in Spanish, French, Portuguese, Chinese (Mandarin), or Bahasa.
To apply for this position please submit a resume and cover letter.
See all Conservation International Career Opportunities HERE
Conservation International Values
We expect that all employees will embrace the values of our organization.
- Passion:Inspired by people and by nature, we are urgently compelled to drive change for a sustainable future.
- Integrity:We are honest, transparent, and accountable for our actions.
- Teamwork:We work together as one CI, recognizing that inclusion, collaboration, and cooperation are fundamental to achieving a healthy and prosperous world for all.
- Respect:We respect each other and work to earn trust, valuing our diversity of cultures, talents, and experiences.
- Courage:We pursue our vision, taking bold action, persevering, and overcoming challenges.
- Optimism:We are optimistic about the capacity of people to be caring, generous, and brilliant, and believe that with partners, we can inspire humanity to create a better future.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled