Job Title: Program Manager, Natural Climate Solutions
Location: Flexible: Washington, DC or remote (working with significant overlap with US business hours)
Start Date: Immediately
Reports to: Senior Program Manager
Verra is a global leader helping to tackle the world’s most intractable environmental and social challenges. As a mission-driven non-profit organization, Verra is committed to reducing greenhouse gas emissions, improving livelihoods, and protecting natural resources across the private and public sectors. We support climate action and sustainable development with standards, tools, and programs that credibly, transparently, and robustly assess environmental and social impacts and enable funding for sustaining and scaling up projects that verifiably deliver these benefits. We work in any arena where we see a need for clear standards, a role for market-based mechanisms, and an opportunity to generate significant environmental and social value.
Verra manages a portfolio of standards, including the:
- Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) — the world’s leading carbon crediting program, with more than 1600 registered projects in 80 countries, and accounting for two-thirds of all voluntary carbon market transaction volume.
- Sustainable Development Verified Impact Standard (SD VISta) — a flexible framework for assessing and reporting on the sustainable development benefits of project-based activities.
- Climate, Community & Biodiversity (CCB) Standards — to identify projects that simultaneously address climate change, support local communities, and conserve biodiversity.
- Plastic Waste Reduction Program — to enable robust impact assessment of new or scaled-up waste recovery and recycling projects around the globe.
Verra’s Program Team is looking for a Program Manager, Natural Climate Solutions, to support our work to foster climate impact and generate related environmental and social benefits through the VCS Program.
A day with Verra’s Program Team might include:
- Providing guidance and support to users of Verra programs, including project and program developers, methodology developers, validation/verification bodies, and other stakeholders, especially on topics related to Natural Climate Solutions (NCS) – including agriculture, forestry, and other land use (AFOLU) activities.
- Managing Program Team colleagues in ensuring consistent project quality, including reviewing project documentation, making project site visits, and liaising closely with project stakeholders.
- Managing some of the NCS methodologies being developed under Verra programs, especially for those for REDD+ and the Jurisdictional and Nested REDD+ (JNR) Framework.
- Researching contemporary issues and policies affecting Verra programs, such as, implications of Paris Agreement rulebook developments, emerging net-zero guidance and associated national domestic policies and programs Paris Agreement rulebook developments.
- Participating in and contributing to Innovations Team meetings to help identify new opportunities to scale up the NCS activities and to implement solutions to barriers within existing Verra standards and methodologies.
- Contributing to Verra programs’ evolution by developing updates to existing Verra rules and procedures to drive significant environmental and social project impact.
- Collaborating with other Verra teams such as the Innovations, Policy & Markets, and Communications Teams to advance our organizational mission.
Specific functions you will be responsible for leading:
- Managing Program Team colleagues who provide support and oversight to NCS projects seeking VCS, CCB Standards and SD VISta certification.
- Periodically assessing the rigor of, and risks to, Verra’s NCS programs (including the VCS buffer system) and implementing any necessary updates and revisions.
- Serving as a subject-matter expert to the Program Team, including training and mentoring junior staff.
- Resolving critical issues related to NCS projects, including collaborating with Verra colleagues to respond to stakeholder enquiries and concerns.
- Supporting projects and governments to nest REDD+ projects.
- Collaborating with Verra’s Innovations Team to ensure new REDD+ and other NCS-related methodologies, standards, and program innovations are technically sound, and support and align with relevant international and domestic policy frameworks.
- Helping draft revisions to Verra program rules and procedures relevant to the NCS sector to help maintain the robustness, workability, and impact of those programs.
- Representing Verra at relevant industry conferences, workshops, and events.
You bring with you:
- A degree, preferably master’s, in forestry, environmental science, or related field.
- At least 7 years of relevant professional experience, with 3-4 years of management experience and at least five years of experience in the development and/or implementation of REDD+ and NCS-related programs or projects, international and domestic REDD+ policy, including experience with jurisdictional and nested REDD+ approaches.
- Expertise in GHG accounting in the forestry sector.
- Strong attention to detail. Ability to think creatively and in a solution-oriented manner.
- Strong project management and organizational skills, including prioritizing and working efficiently and effectively under deadlines.
- Culturally aware with the ability to work with stakeholders and partners from different countries and cultures.
- Self-starter with the ability to excel in a professional environment with limited supervision.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Fluency in English is essential. Fluency in other languages beyond English, with a preference for Spanish, Portuguese, French or Bahasa Indonesia.
In this role, you will grow and expand your expertise by:
- Working at the cutting edge of programs designed to drive finance towards high-impact land-use management activities that tackle some of the most pressing environmental issues of our day.
- Working on challenges and opportunities faced by practitioners of activities aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions and improving livelihoods.
- Finding effective ways to ensure the quality of projects and credits under Verra programs.
You will know you are successful, if:
- You are seen as a leader and a go-to resource by your peers, and as a reliable and capable member of the team by your manager.
- You build on your appreciation and respect for the challenges and opportunities faced by users of Verra’s programs and are able to effectively ensure the quality of projects certified under Verra programs.
- Verra stakeholders consistently express positive feedback regarding your ability to collaborate to find workable solutions to challenges they face.
You will join a team:
- From diverse locations and backgrounds, including carbon market experts, project developers, consultants, policymakers, researchers, auditors, and more.
- Committed to driving finance at scale to projects and programs that advance climate action and sustainable development through high-quality standards and programs.
- That embodies Verra’s values, which include Teamwork, Results, Integrity, Balance, and Exploration.
Compensation at Verra
To help us attract and retain top talent, Verra pays employees competitively to the market. In return, we expect each employee to, at a minimum:
- Meet expectations in terms of work effort and performance;
- Take the initiative to build the skills and knowledge needed to do their job effectively; and
- Embody Verra’s values.
For this position, the salary range is U , depending on experience.
We will recognize employees who go beyond expected performance with salary increases and/or promotions, but the bar for earning those rewards is high.
Salary is one component of Verra’s total compensation package, which also includes:
- Health, vision and dental care, and life insurance;
- Verra contributions to each employee’s retirement plan;
- Verra contributions as required by national labor laws in countries where staff are located;
- Paid Time Off (PTO) comprising 22-30 days plus ten floating holidays, sabbatical after five years of service, and other leave allowances; and
- Funds to support professional development.
How to Apply
To apply, please send us the following:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page)
- Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages)
*Please add app.bamboohr.com to your contact list to ensure you receive emails from us*
Verra provides equal opportunity for all job applicants and employees and is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination. We conduct our recruitment and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetics, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local law.