Location: Philadelphia or Washington, DC strongly preferred
About Finite Carbon
Fueled by a fundamental belief that forests are critical to mitigating climate change, Finite Carbon incentivizes the protection, restoration, and sustainable management of forests by connecting landowners to the global carbon market.
With a focus on scale, we have delivered more than $500 million to landowners who have made long-term commitments to sustainable forest management on more than 3 million acres since 2009. We aim to deliver a further $1 billion to landowners by 2030. Our recently announced web-based platform, CORE Carbon, leverages satellite data and machine learning to democratize the carbon market and empower small landowners, non-profits, and communities across the globe to receive payments for implementing forest practices that store carbon.
In November 2020, Finite Carbon became a bp Launchpad portfolio company, which gives us access to significant resources to support our ambitious growth plans.
About the Role
As the Director of Global Reforestation Policy, your efforts will directly impact the strategy we will implement to successfully scale the use of carbon markets to fund reforestation and forest restoration globally and meet our goal of delivering $1 billion to small landowners, NGOs, and communities by 2030. We aim to create scalable and technology-enabled financing mechanisms to incentivize reforestation and restoration on landholdings as small as 10 hectares with maximum climate impact balanced with a deep respect for social justice and the promotion of biodiversity. The Director of Global Reforestation will guide policy, strategy, coordination, and outreach for this ambitious multi-disciplinary effort.
What you’ll do:
- Review and contextualize existing global reforestation policies and activities to provide a framework to guide Finite Carbon’s reforestation and forest restoration strategy
- Cultivate relationships with various non-profit and governmental organizations to provide guidance on internal policies as well as to serve as implementation partners on the ground
- Monitor the evolution of good practices for reforestation and forest restoration including social justice and biodiversity
- Advocate for the rigorous quantification and long-term monitoring of reforestation and restoration efforts over traditional tree-planting initiatives
- Advocate for transparency in global reforestation and forest restoration activities to promote complementary vs. competing endeavors and avoid double counting of carbon removal claims
- Assist in the development of financing mechanisms to leverage new, and complement existing, philanthropic funding for reforestation and forest restoration
- Work collaboratively with our methodology team to develop new methodologies or propose revisions to existing methodologies to allow for the use of technology to streamline the enrollment process and allow for the participation of small and micro-scale projects
- Own the internal working knowledge of various reforestation and forest restoration carbon methodologies as well as those in development and communicate this knowledge effectively
- Work collaboratively with our finance, marketing, and product teams to assist with the modeling and design of appropriate business models and approaches to maximize participation and ensure the success of implementation partners on the ground
- Represent Finite Carbon at conferences and workshops
What you’ll bring:
- Strong, demonstrable experience in business consulting, non-profit conservation work, or philanthropy
- Previous experience in driving vision and thought leadership on reforestation and forest restoration in the form of effective scientific or public communication, coalition building, or institutional leadership
- Established knowledge and experience with successfully managing carbon projects, carbon methodologies, or carbon markets preferred
- Strong analytical, administrative, and written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently, assess priorities, take initiative, handle multiple assignments, and meet deadlines
- An agile mindset and the ability to adapt to change in a dynamic environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative and positive attitude towards problem solving
- An understanding of the commitment and hard work involved in working at a successful, fast growing company with ambitious growth plans
- A passion for climate change solutions and the transition to renewable energy
- MBA, MPP, or equivalent preferred
- International work experience preferred
- Bilingual Spanish speakers preferred
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salary is commensurate with experience and responsibilities. Position includes a competitive benefits package.