Executive Management Team (EMT) · Washington, District of Columbia
Job Title: Chief Policy and Markets Officer
Location: Washington, DC preferred (working remotely during COVID-19, with long-term flexible work arrangements possible)
Start Date: Immediately
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Verra is a global leader helping to tackle the world’s most intractable environmental and social challenges. As a mission-driven non-profit organization, Verra is committed to helping reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve livelihoods and protect natural resources across the private and public sectors. We support climate action and sustainable development with standards, tools and programs that credibly, transparently and robustly assess environmental and social impacts and enable funding for sustaining and scaling up projects that verifiably deliver these benefits. We work in any arena where we see a need for clear standards, a role for market-based mechanisms, and an opportunity to generate significant environmental and social value. Verra manages a portfolio of leading standards, including the Verified Carbon Standard (VCS), which accounts for two thirds of all voluntary carbon market transactions globally.
Verra is creating the new role of Chief Policy and Markets Officer for an exceptional individual to lead policy engagement and strategic responses to emerging and evolving market opportunities for Verra’s programs, including the Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) Program, the Jurisdictional and Nested REDD+ framework (JNR), the Climate, Community & Biodiversity (CCB) Standards and the Sustainable Development Verified Impact Standard (SD VISta).
A day with Verra’s collaborative Program Team might include…
- Developing and advancing Verra’s policy and market strategy, including building and managing a team of market and communications professionals.
- Collaborating with policy makers, market participants, working groups, and Verra staff to make sense of evolving policy and market dynamics and identify standards-related opportunities, such as establishing the future of the voluntary carbon markets under the Paris Agreement and emerging domestic markets.
- Engaging with national and regional governments (especially in Africa and Asia) to support the development of international and domestic compliance markets linked to Verra’s standards programs, including for example, supporting the implementation of Corresponding Adjustments, the development of domestic validation/verification capacity, and linked registry systems.
- Collaborating with other Verra Market Development and Program staff to craft strategic positioning, outreach and engagement with key stakeholders and markets.
Specific functions you will be responsible for leading…
- Engaging in various policy forums (e.g., UNFCCC, relevant working groups and initiatives, domestic markets) and developing and overseeing the implementation of strategies for ensuring Verra standards are strategically positioned to continue to play a leading role in driving climate action and sustainable development.
- Engaging with outside stakeholders, including policy makers, governments and program users to build and maintain essential relationships, and inform market development and communications strategy, as well as provide key input to program development.
- Collaborating with other Verra departments to ensure synchronization on key opportunities and challenges (e.g., engaging in cross-organizational discussions on market opportunities, innovations and organizational strategy).
- Leading Verra’s policy, market development and communications team, helping set engagement and outreach strategies to take advantage of market opportunities, communicate Verra’s strategic direction, and respond to criticisms in the press.
- Supervising senior market development and communications staff and engaging with Verra Board members as appropriate.
- Representing Verra at external meetings and events.
- Serving as a core member of Verra’s Executive Management Team, helping to set and support the overall strategic direction of the organization.
You bring with you…
- A track record of successfully developing and leading international carbon policy and/or markets strategies, including working with governments, corporates and NGOs.
- 15+ years of relevant professional experience, including 5+ years in leadership roles managing high-performing teams and cross-cutting collaborations.
- Demonstrated experience successfully formulating and executing strategies that achieve impactful policy and market outcomes. An ability to think creatively and in a solution-oriented manner is essential.
- A relevant university degree, with a master’s degree preferred.
- An existing network of key organizations and individuals working on climate change action.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; capable of maintaining a professional approach and demeanor in high-pressure situations, and able to motivate and provide support to a diverse team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Fluency in English is essential. Fluency in other languages would be an advantage.
In this role, you will grow and expand your expertise by…
- Leading a diverse team of passionate professionals involved in a wide range of carbon policy and market development activities.
- Developing and managing a high-impact strategy with the potential to drive millions of dollars towards climate action and sustainable development through the use of Verra standards.
- Expanding your network of professionals working on climate and sustainable development, including government officials, private sector actors, NGOs, and others.
You will know you are successful, if…
- Verra’s standards are widely recognized as being of the highest quality and value in key policy and market arenas, maintaining global leadership in the voluntary market and being accepted in emerging compliance/regulatory systems.
- Leading corporates and government officials view Verra’s standards as the most credible, workable and robust frameworks for supporting their climate and sustainable development ambitions.
- The Verra Policy and Markets Team remains motivated, inspired and effective at achieving organizational and professional development goals.
You will join a team…
- From diverse locations and backgrounds, including carbon market and communications experts.
- Committed to driving finance to projects and programs that advance climate action and sustainable development through high-quality standards and programs.
- That embodies the values Verra has established for itself, which include Teamwork, Results, Integrity, Balance and Exploration.
Compensation at Verra
To help us attract and retain top talent, Verra pays employees competitively to the market. In return, we expect each employee to, at a minimum:
- Meet expectations in terms of work effort and performance;
- Take the initiative to build the skills and knowledge needed to do their job effectively; and
- Embody Verra’s values.
For this position, the salary range is USD $174,000 – $199,000, depending on experience.
We will recognize employees who go beyond expected performance with salary increases and/or promotions, but the bar for earning those rewards is high.
Salary is one component of Verra’s total compensation package which also includes:
- Health, vision and dental care, and life insurance;
- Verra contributions to each employee’s retirement plan;
- Verra contributions as required by national labor laws in countries where staff are located;
- Paid Time Off (PTO) comprising 22-30 days plus ten floating holidays, sabbatical after five years of service, and other leave allowances; and
- Funds to support professional development.
How to Apply
To apply, please send us the following:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page)
- Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages)
*Please add app.bamboohr.com to you contact list to ensure you receive emails from us*
Verra provides equal opportunity for all job applicants and employees and is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination. We conduct our recruitment and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetics, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable national, state, and local laws.