New Forests (www.newforests.com.au) seeks a qualified candidate for the position of Associate Director, Natural Climate Solutions. In this role you will be primarily responsible for the identification of potential investment opportunities, undertaking due diligence and executing on transactions as part of New Forests’ natural climate solutions (NCS) investment strategy. This role will be part of a newly established team focusing on New Forests’ NCS investment strategy, reporting to the Director, Business Development. The position is based in our Sydney office, but will have an international mandate.
New Forests is an investment management business offering leading edge strategies in forestry, land management, and conservation. Our business mission is to manage sustainable landscapes for production and conservation and to generate shared value for our clients and the communities where we operate.
Founded in 2005, we offer institutional investors dedicated investment strategies in the United States, Australia‐New Zealand, and Southeast Asia and have over AUD 5.6 billion in assets under management. We manage sustainable timber plantations, natural forests, forest carbon projects, rural land, and processing infrastructure. New Forests is headquartered in Sydney with offices in San Francisco, Singapore, New Zealand and Melbourne.
In this role you will be:
• Building a pipeline of potential NCS investment opportunities across the Asia-Pacific region and potentially other geographies
• Working with internal and external parties to analyse, prepare investment committee materials and execute on NCS investment transactions
• Responsible for staying well-informed on relevant market developments and trends, regulation and policy, and opportunities related to NCS investments, and reporting on such, internally.
• Assisting with management of deal negotiations for both small- and large-scale target investments.
• Designing, coordinating and overseeing due diligence on target opportunities and investments.
• Presenting results and managing discussions with internal resources, the Investment Committees and New Forests’ clients.
• Assisting with investment thesis development and new fund products, from time to time.
We are looking for candidates with:
• Min. 10 years’ experience working with natural climate solutions, forestry, land management or environmental market projects, in an investment context.
• Minimum Bachelor’s degree in business, economics, finance, forestry, environmental management/ science or equivalent. MBA would be well regarded.
• Excellent project management capability along with outstanding organizational skills related to time and project management.
• Experience working with natural climate solutions, forestry carbon projects and in alternative assets (e.g. timber, carbon, infrastructure, real estate, private equity) and/or impact investing and sustainability, a definite advantage.
• Strong background in global climate and environmental finance, with a focus on the private sector would be well regarded.
• Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills.
• Excellent verbal communication with ability to learn and process large amounts of information quickly and confidently present New Forests’ vision, mission, investment capability.
• Excellent writing and editing skills with ability to conceptualise and understand how to communicate complex information through presentations, briefing notes, investment committee papers and other media;
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience with sustainability and responsible investment.
• Ability to build strong relationships, with different levels of people, and work within a team environment
• Ability to adapt to change quickly and effectively; comfortable with managing ambiguity
• Experience working in multi-cultural environments, with focus on South East Asian market, would be beneficial.
• A high degree of proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel)
• A willingness and ability to travel.
What can we offer?
Our environment is busy and supportive, and the team is professional but relaxed. If you join us, you would be joining a growing, fast paced business which is an environmental and sustainable leader in forestry investment. You will also be working with professionals who are passionate about their work!
To apply, please provide your resume and cover letter, explaining your interest and qualifications for the position, in PDF format, to email@example.com
Phone calls will not be accepted.
New Forests is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Ad posted on 5th June 2020. Job Ad closes on 5th July 2020.