San Francisco, CA, US, 94105
Requisition ID # 47364
Job Category : Environmental Management / Safety
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Strategy & Policy
Job Location : San Francisco
The Corporate Sustainability team, which is part of the Strategy and Policy organization, works to integrate and align PG&E’s sustainability strategy with its business strategy. With the support of PG&E’s Chief Sustainability Officer, the team works collaboratively to advance energy and environmental policy issues important to our business and customers; tell our story by measuring and communicating PG&E’s corporate sustainability performance; identify, benchmark, and implement best practices to drive continuous improvement within our business; and engage with a wide range of stakeholders, both within and outside the company, to guide and advance PG&E’s sustainability strategy.
The Sustainability Specialist, Expert will support PG&E’s climate resilience and adaptation program, a core initiative within the sustainability team. This position will work to identify, quantify, and manage physical risks related to climate change that impact PG&E’s business, employees, customers and communities, and provide technical support for programs and practices to reduce PG&E’s environmental impact. The candidate will work with PG&E’s lines of business to design and implement tools and processes for managing climate risks and will work collaboratively to develop communication and employee training materials for climate change adaptation and resilience. The position will require extensive engagement with internal and external stakeholders to develop, execute and communicate climate resilience and sustainability strategies for the company and communities served by PG&E.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated knowledge of climate change impacts; strong research and analytical skills; experience with climate adaptation projects, and familiarity with environmental and energy issues and best practices. Familiarity with energy infrastructure is a plus. The individual will possess outstanding written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills and the ability to communicate complex issues to a range of audiences. The individual will have strong organizational, creative, and strategic thinking skills. The successful candidate will also be able to effectively operate both independently and as part of a team and to manage multiple projects simultaneously from conception to implementation.
- Work across lines of business and participate in cross-functional internal forums to design and implement processes for managing climate risks
- Develop and pilot climate resilience tools and metrics to incorporate climate risk mitigation into PG&E’s business processes, including equipping PG&E staff to utilize tools and metrics
- Utilize climate change models to assess potential impacts on PG&E’s infrastructure, employees and communities
- Support the implementation of initiatives to achieve PG&E’s sustainability goals, including technical support for programs and practices to reduce PG&E’s environmental impact
- Develop and report on climate resilience and sustainability measures to track the company’s progress in reducing risk and achieving sustainability goals
- Serve as a company expert on climate change, climate resilience and related sustainability issues to support PG&E’s sustainability work with communities, regulatory agencies, policymakers, and other stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Seven years of experience in a related field
- Master’s degree
- Project management experience
- Experience working with climate-related models and associated outputs or natural resource-related models and associated outputs
- Experience conducting climate change vulnerability assessments and weather-related assessments
- Familiarity with energy and/or utility infrastructure