South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all six continents, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Sourcing team works hand in hand with project owners and developers, active in the carbon markets and renewable energy space, to identify, negotiate and contract new emission reduction projects. By acquiring new projects within our portfolio, we ensure that South Pole always has the right mix of carbon credits available to meet the demands of our clients. If you’re an ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, this position may be right for you!
In this role within the Portfolio Management unit, you will be responsible for South Pole’s procurement strategy and for structuring and closing carbon credit sourcing transactions. You will develop business with project developers, retailers, intermediaries and wholesale companies active in carbon markets. This position requires commercial acumen, transactional capability and ability to capture optimisation opportunities. Furthermore, you will work in coordination with our Projects and Marketing teams to draft proposals in order to meet Corporate Social Responsibilities (CSR) needs.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Originate, structure and close new deals in carbon credits with project owners, retailers, intermediaries, trading and wholesale companies
- Grow the network of project developers and suppliers of carbon credits
- Create a strategic and compelling carbon project portfolios for meeting the demand of our broad set of corporate and public sector clients
- Collaborate with Key Account Managers to understand the clients’ needs for certificates and provide market-related feedback
- Analyse client needs, gather market intelligence and identify industry trends
- Collaborate with the international Project Management teams for the purpose of optimising deliveries of projects developed by South Pole Represent South Pole in different forums on carbon markets in order to generate business
- A University degree in Economics or Business Administration, ideally with evidence of a focus on environmental or sustainability issues
- 5-7 years of commercial experience, preferably in an origination, brokerage or trading role in carbon markets
- Knowledge of and experience in carbon products and markets, preferably including:
- Project-based carbon standards, technologies and project development processes
- Global carbon reporting standards (e.g. CDP, GHG Protocol)
- Strong track record in generating new business opportunities, closing deals and meeting customer needs
- Proven ability to build and maintain strong relationships with suppliers, clients and team members
- Excellent written and oral command of English
- Legal and contract management skills are a plus
- Entrepreneurial and proactive mindset, willingness to take initiative
- Fluency in German, French and/or Spanish are advantageous
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.