We have an exciting new opportunity for an experienced manager to join the Carbon Trust. The vision for the Breakthrough Ideas team is to tackle the biggest parts of that transformation, using our capabilities, relationships, and brand to create initiatives that overcome intractable technical, societal, and commercial challenges. Achieving our goal of a sustainable, low-carbon economy requires a rapid and radical transformation.
In this role, you will help make this happen, leading a small team with a remit to think imaginatively and move quickly to launch effective and disruptive new concepts. Clear analysis will be important, and you will be keen to use real-world experimentation and action to test the team’s thinking.
External engagement and co-creation will be critical. Partners with complementary capabilities will help us identify promising concepts more quickly and challenge us to work in areas we don’t know well. You will also work with experts across the company to make best use of their knowledge and relationships.
The Carbon Trust’s mission is to accelerate the move to a sustainable, low carbon economy. We are independent experts on carbon reduction and resource efficiency, who reinvest surpluses from group commercial activities into our mission.
Main duties and responsibilities of the role will be:
- You will lead a compact team of two to three analysts to develop a pipeline of concepts through a four-stage process:
- Set breakthrough themes: On an annual basis, you agree high-level themes with the executive team and Carbon Trust board, focusing on those with the highest potential and rationale for our intervention.
- Rapid scan: Across the priority themes, you will quickly research and analyse the key challenges and players, identifying potential solutions that we are well placed to implement.
- Explore alternatives: For promising concepts, you will challenge the initial proposal by identifying 5-10 variants or alternatives that address the same problem in a different way.
- Launch: For the best concepts, you will launch a proof of concept, seeking direct feedback from partners, customers, and end users, providing essential learnings to support rapid iteration.
- Managing the team day-to-day, with responsibility for the quality of outputs and junior team members’ development.
- Managing relationships with the executive team and Carbon Trust board, setting expectations, soliciting input, and dealing with challenges as they arise.
- Developing internal and external relationships that can support the success of specific initiatives and the team overall.
Key skills we are looking for:
- Curious about new things and keen to learn
- Energetic and entrepreneurial, pursuing goals with urgency, purpose, and persistence
- Willing to challenge the status quo and break through barriers to make things happen
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with external customers/partners
- Excellent communicator, able to be simple, clear, and inspiring
- Flexible, open-minded and responsive to feedback and stakeholder input
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to build and maintain strong relationships and influence decision-making
- Ability to think and work independently, taking ‘ownership’ of tasks and able to work on multiple projects at the same time
- Good at solving ambiguous, unstructured problems
- Demonstrated ability to analyse large markets or sectors and identify potential solutions to big, disruptive trends or challenges
- Excellent quantitative and analytical skills
Qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher (or equivalent), master’s degree desirable but not required
- Experience in strategy consulting or a strategy function is not required, but would be helpful
- Experienced project team manager, with demonstrated capability of directing a team conducting research, analysis, and then executing on those findings
- Experience managing challenging and complex stakeholder engagement, both internal and external
- International experience, professional or personal, is desirable
Salary & Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary and a performance based bonus. Our hours are 37.5 per week with 28 days paid holiday plus bank holidays and a generous pension scheme.
Our head office is in London, close to Blackfriars and Waterloo stations, we offer travel card loans, a cycle to work scheme, company away days and a 24-hour Employee Assistance Helpline.
Joining the Carbon Trust provides an opportunity to work alongside some of the leading practitioners in the low carbon arena so if you are excited by this opportunity and would like to join us please follow the link to our application page.