Job Title: Manager, Verra Registry
Location: Washington, DC preferred, remote possible
Start Date: Immediately
Reports to: Director, Verra Programs
A global leader in helping to tackle the world’s most intractable environmental challenges, Verra seeks a manager to oversee operation of its new registry (Registry), and to build its base of users. The ideal candidate will possess an ability to build and lead a team responsible for the smooth day-to-day administration of the Registry, and an ability to work with key market stakeholders to drive greater uptake of Verra programs. She or he will be meticulous, organized, have strong relationship-building and communications skills, and possess an ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
With the signing of the Paris Agreement and increased focus on the Sustainable Development Goals, Verra has seen increasing demand for its standards that allow governments, the private sector, civil society and investors to track progress and drive funding towards achieving ambitious sustainable development, climate and environmental goals. In response to that demand, we are expanding our work into new arenas and growing our team to serve new and existing stakeholders.
Verra currently manages a number of global standards frameworks. These include the Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) Program and its Jurisdictional and Nested REDD+ framework (JNR), the Verra California Offset Project Registry (OPR), the Climate, Community & Biodiversity (CCB) Standards, and the Sustainable Development Verified Impact Standard (SD VISta). Verra is also developing new standards frameworks, including LandScale, which will promote and measure sustainability outcomes across agricultural landscapes, which is being developed with a range of partners.
All of these frameworks require a registry to achieve their programmatic objectives. We are making the transition from a multi-registry system administered by outsourced providers to a single registry administered directly by Verra staff. The new, in-housed Registry is expected to be operational in January 2020.
Verra is seeking a Registry Manager to oversee the day-to-day operations of the newly in-housed Registry and to grow the number of users of Registry services. He or she will:
- During the transition process, liaise with current registry accountholders to prepare and assist them in transferring their accounts to the new Registry, taking careful account of and addressing any issues or concerns raised.
- Post-transition, maintain and deepen relationships with accountholders to:
- Gather and assess market intelligence that could impact demand for Registry services including instrument issuances, transfers, and retirements.
- Identify new Registry services opportunities.
- Identify and recruit new accountholders.
- Work closely with and routinely update the program operations, market development and standards development teams on the implications of the market-related information gathered from accountholders for current and future Verra standard frameworks.
- Supervise a team of two registry administrators, ensuring that the team is highly responsive to accountholders, and that the Registry is run in an efficient and effective manner.
- Provide guidance, support, and mentorship to the Registry team (e.g., leading weekly team meetings and one-on-one check-ins with team members, guiding team members on handling complex requests from Registry accountholders, making final decisions on unique requests from accountholders, etc.).
- Manage a continuous improvement process for the Registry platform and operations, including liaising with the Registry software provider to develop and implement functional updates and add new capabilities to meet emerging opportunities (e.g., blockchain / distributed ledger technology) and new program needs.
- Provide guidance and support to stakeholders that use the Verra Registry, including project developers, intermediaries, buyers, and other stakeholders.
- Represent Verra in relevant international and domestic conferences and events.
We are seeking candidates who excel at managing effective teams, building relationships with key stakeholders, developing actionable insights, and making strategic decisions. The following qualifications are required:
- 5 – 7 years of professional experience in any of the following:
- Registry administration.
- Standards or certification programs administration.
- Business development, sales, and marketing.
- Experience effectively managing teams of staff, contractors, strategic partners and budgets.
- A track record of developing and maintaining strong working relationships with and among a diverse group of stakeholders and decision makers.
- A demonstrated capacity to gather market intelligence, develop insights, and formulate strategic plans based on that information.
- A willingness to work off-hours from time to time, including weekends and holidays, as demand for Registry services may require.
- Fluency in English.
- Employees based in the US must be eligible to work in the United States (i.e., US citizen or holding current work authorization).
- Previous work experience in voluntary or compliance carbon markets.
- Established network of market stakeholders including project developers, intermediaries, buyers, and other stakeholders.
- Fluency in another language (particularly Spanish).
Compensation depends on experience and is highly competitive. Verra has established pay bands that are based on market data for comparable positions for each of its jobs. These bands express a salary range and provide a reference point for offers to new hires, raises within a job, and for promotions from one job to another. For Verra Manager positions, the salary range is $75,000 USD – $92,121 USD.
Verra offers a very attractive benefits package, including 22-30 days of paid time off plus holidays, retirement contributions, access to flexible savings accounts, and a choice of top-tier health plans.
How to Apply
To apply, please send us the following:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page)
- Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages)
All applications should be submitted to Sara Mickens at email@example.com and will be considered on a rolling basis.