Carbon Market Watch’s mission is to ensure that carbon pricing and other climate policies drive a just transition towards zero-carbon societies. We promote environmental integrity and human rights and empower communities to participate in decision-making processes related to climate policies.
Purpose of the position
We are seeking an outgoing, dynamic and enthusiastic policy officer to support our work on European and international climate policies, with a special focus on carbon markets and carbon pricing.
The position will have a strong focus on policy analysis, advocacy and political communications. The policy officer will report to the Policy Director in our Brussels office and work closely with the entire CMW team.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Monitor and analyse relevant climate policy developments and identify policy recommendations;
- Write, edit and disseminate information, including briefings, news articles and press releases;
- Coordinate policy positions and campaign strategies with other NGOs and network partners;
- Liaise and interact with relevant stakeholders like decision makers, business and industry representatives, researchers and funders;
- Organise events, webinars and other outreach activities;
- Actively support and contribute to Carbon Market Watch´s fundraising efforts and reporting requirements.
The successful candidate will ideally have a minimum of three years of relevant experience, but applications from outstanding candidates with less experience will also be considered.
Professional and personal attributes
The ideal candidate should have the following professional qualifications and personal attributes:
- A strong commitment to environmental protection and human development;
- Knowledge of European or international political institutions and policy-making;
- Strong research and analytical skills;
- Ability to work independently, and flexibly with team members;
- Excellent communication, writing and organisational skills;
- Fluent spoken and written English. Other languages (especially French and Spanish) are an advantage.
- Expertise in at least two of the following fields: carbon pricing, emission reductions in aviation and shipping, industrial decarbonisation, energy transition, green finance;
- Experience of working in an EU institution or international organisation, or in a relevant public affairs role (NGOs, Thinktanks);
- Proven experience in writing and editing policy and communication outputs, and adapting messages to different audiences (political, technical, media).
What we offer
- A full time, one year contract under Belgian law with the possibility for extension to a permanent contract;
- A competitive remuneration package in line with Brussels standards;
- Starting date: October or November 2019.
Qualified applicants should send their CV and a motivation letter, addressing the competencies required by 9 September 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to the vacancy in the subject line of the application email.