ClimeCo was founded in 2009, pioneering the development of emission-reduction projects across the US. For the past 10 years, we have established our reputation as a trusted source of knowledge in environmental markets globally. We have quickly evolved into a leading full-service firm, providing advisory, trading and project development expertise in the environmental markets space. ClimeCo operates at the forefront of an exciting transformation as businesses and governments recognize that markets are the most efficient way to address environmental challenges. Our core mission is to support the success of clients engaged in these markets, while encouraging new practices and emission abatement technology adoption.
We are currently seeking a dynamic professional in the role of Policy Analyst for our Calgary office. As a key member of ClimeCo’s dynamic and fast paced Policy and Advisory team, you will be responsible for ensuring the business is aware of new, emerging or changing policies, regulations and legislation and will support ClimeCo and our clients in understanding the possible commercial impacts. You understand and believe in the important role that industry plays in the prosperity of local economies and broader regions and you are proud to talk about it.
In this full-time position, you will lead our policy, regulatory and commercial research and analysis activities and will support program impact analysis, government advocacy efforts, industrial and emissions data analysis and client report generation impacted by a broad range of programs, including:
- Alberta’s Carbon Competitiveness Incentive Regulation (CCIR) and Technology Innovation and Emissions Reduction (TIER) regime;
- British Columbia’s CleanBC Industrial Incentive Program (CIIP);
- Canada’s Output-Based Pricing System (OBPS);
- Canada’s Clean Fuel Standards (CFS);
- California and Quebec’s linked Cap-and-Trade system;
- California’s Low Carbon Fuel Standards (LCFS); and the
- European Union’s Emission Trading System (EU ETS).
As the successful candidate, you will be multifaceted, with a keen passion for environmental market-based regulations and industrial operations. You are a committed team player that is motivated by driving commercial value and by contributing to the shared goals of ClimeCo and its clients. You are excited to contribute to all aspects of our ever-growing business and believe in our core-value of working with integrity to achieve the highest standard of deliverables.
Reporting to the Director, Policy and Advisory, the Policy Analyst role will work to support the objectives of ClimeCo through policy, regulatory and commercial analysis with the requisite reporting and communications activities. The role has the following main responsibilities:
- Own the development, production and delivery of the Regulatory and Policy Reporting Tool that provides analysis and insights related to ClimeCo’s clients, trading portfolio and renewable energy assets.
- Provide ongoing tracking and interpretation of relevant political announcements and emergent news.
- Contribute to and assist with the development of client deliverables, including news releases, policy memos, strategy reports and PowerPoint presentations.
- Support the finalizing of documents through editing, formatting and compliance with the ClimeCo brand standard.
- Assist with administrative and other support as directed by Director, Policy and Advisory and the Senior Leadership Team.
- Relevant undergraduate degree in business, economics, public policy, mathematics, natural science, engineering or equivalent.
- Prefer 1 to 2 years of relevant work experience
- Valid passport
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
Skills and Abilities:
- Motivated team player who thrives under tight deadlines in an environment with conflicting priorities;
- Organized, calm and methodical in high pressure situations and excited and capable at multitasking different roles and perspectives quickly;
- Self-motivated, quick learner, and adept at turning high-level guidance into action-oriented plans, with an instinct for knowing what needs to get done without being told or asked;
- Ability to research and interpret legislative and regulatory policies and processes and their implications to business;
- Strong attention to detail (content, format), including an interest for digging deeper to thoroughly understand and analyze subject matter;
- Excellent written communicator, with the ability to write a variety of clear, concise documents and reports for different audiences;
- Adept organizational skills with a keen sense of priorities; and
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite (PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Outlook).
Nice to have:
- Direct experience with environmental markets and commodities;
- Prior experience monitoring government, open source and media channels, to quickly identify all relevant policy, regulatory and legislative news and changes;
- Knowledge of financial analysis methodologies (e.g., IRR, ROI, modeling, sensitivity analysis, scenario analysis etc.);
- Experience in direct communications with clients, both written and verbal; and
- Well versed in the use of Microsoft Sharepoint.
Please email your resume to HR@climeco.com – with subject header Policy Analyst. We thank all candidates for your interest! Please note only qualified candidates with work authorization in Canada will be contacted.