A global leader in helping to tackle the world’s most intractable environmental challenges, Verra seeks a Program Operations Manager to lead its growing program team. The ideal candidate will possess an ability to lead a technical team to ensure the smooth day-to-day operations of the Verra programs. She or he will be meticulous, organized and analytical, have good written and verbal communication skills, and possess strong attention to detail and an ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
With the signing of the Paris Agreement and increased focus on the Sustainable Development Goals, Verra has seen increasing demand for its standards that allow governments, the private sector, civil society and investors to track progress and drive funding towards achieving ambitious sustainable development, climate and environmental goals. In response to that demand, we are expanding our work into new arenas and growing our team to serve new and existing stakeholders. Verra currently manages a number of global standards frameworks.
These include the Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) Program and its Jurisdictional and Nested REDD+ framework (JNR), the Verra California Offset Project Registry (OPR), the Climate, Community & Biodiversity (CCB) Standards, and the Sustainable Development Verified Impact Standard (SD VISta). Verra is also developing new standards frameworks, including the Landscape Standard, which will promote and measure sustainability outcomes across agricultural landscapes, which is being developed with a range of partners.
Verra is seeking a Program Operations Manager to supervise and manage the day-to-day operations of the VCS Program, CCB Program, SD VISta Program, and the Verra OPR. He or she will:
- Supervise a team of program officers, ensuring that all operational processes of the Verra programs (i.e., project reviews, methodology approval process, auditor oversight, stakeholder enquiry management, etc.) run smoothly at all times.
- Serve as an expert resource within the program team on a range of technical matters including helping team members craft responses to complex technical questions from stakeholders, leading final technical methodology reviews, making final decisions on project review findings and auditor disciplinary actions.
- Provide guidance, support, and mentorship to the program team (e.g., leading weekly program team meetings and one-on-one check-ins with each team member).
- Develop actionable insights to improve Verra program operations and rules, including development and implementation of updates to processes and program requirements.
- Provide guidance and support to users of the Verra programs including project and program developers, methodology developers, validation/verification bodies, and other stakeholders.
- Represent Verra in domestic and international conferences and events.
We are seeking candidates who excel at supervising and managing technical teams, keeping tabs on a multitude of initiatives and operations in a fast-paced environment, and who have a passion for addressing sustainable development and climate action challenges. The following qualifications are required:
- 5-7 years of professional experience in any of the following:
- Carbon markets, Renewable Energy Certificate (REC) markets, and/or land use management, preferably working for or with project developers, validation and verification bodies and/or standards bodies.
- Independent standards-setting or certification bodies for commercial or industrial activities (e.g., green building design, sustainable product design, sustainable forest management, sustainable agriculture, etc.).
- A university degree in environmental studies/sciences, sustainable development, engineering, forestry, or a related field.
- At least two years of work experience building and managing technical teams, ideally doing so in an engaging and fun team atmosphere while also ensuring the team is focused on quality of work and timelines.
- Good interpersonal skills; capable of maintaining a professional approach and demeanor in high-pressure situations, and able to provide compassion and support for team members.
- Strong knowledge of the forestry, agriculture, energy efficiency or renewable energy sectors, including detailed knowledge of GHG quantification methodologies, baselines, additionality, leakage, non-permanence, and monitoring.
- Strong understanding of climate change mitigation and adaptation concepts, SDGs, supplychain sustainability initiatives, and/or climate/development finance.
- Strong understanding of sustainability issues, standards and certification programs (e.g., Rainforest Alliance, Utz, Fair Trade, ESG criteria), including the role of auditors in such programs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Fluency in English is essential.
- U.S. citizenship or a Green Card.
- Direct work experience in the land use sector, preferably within the context of GHG inventories, carbon markets, or sustainable development.
- Experience in editing and drafting technical documents.
- Study and/or work experience in developing countries.
- Fluency in another language (particularly Spanish).
How to Apply
Compensation depends on experience and is highly competitive. Verra offers a very attractive benefits package, including 22-30 days of paid time off plus holidays, retirement contributions, access to flexible savings accounts, and a choice of top-tier health plans.
To apply, please send us the following:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page)
- Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages)
All applications should be submitted to Rachel Wallach at email@example.com and will be considered on a rolling basis.