01/01/2019 – 02/28/2022
Climate Change, Environment
Type of employment:
The Paris Climate Agreement of December 2015 is a milestone in international climate policy. On behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), GIZ’s Climate Sector Project provides conceptual and practical input for designing and implementing national climate contributions. This includes supporting BMZ in the scope of international climate negotiations and climate policy initiatives, and drawing up studies and strategies. Mainstreaming and assisting global implementation by developing and applying practical approaches in developing countries, and cooperating with research facilities and ‘think tanks’ also form part of the sector project.
- Advising the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) with expertise on climate financing, greenhouse gas mitigation or climate change adaptation in the form of statements, current situations, draft speeches, policy papers, commentaries, etc.
- Supporting the German delegation in preparing for international climate negotiations and indirect participation in further development and implementation
- Developing and steering specific approaches and studies for implementing climate financing, mitigation and climate change adaptation activities
- Translating current trends into specific consulting services; analysing ongoing trends in international climate policy and integrating the results into German development cooperation and the sector project work
- Designing, preparing and overseeing relevant studies and events
- Supporting general daily operations and management processes in the sector project, including in the scope of company-wide requirements
- Interdisciplinary cooperation in a larger team of consultants
- Regular coordination with sector project colleagues and other organisational units
- University degree in economics, social sciences, political sciences or environmental sciences
- Significant work experience in the field of international climate policy, deep involvement in at least one of the priority areas of climate financing; (e.g. international climate funds such as GEF, GCF, Adaptation Fund, multilateral development banks, climate negotiations, national and international climate financing flows, climate financing and the private sector), climate change mitigation; (e.g. GHG mitigation in the energy sector, mitigation in agriculture/industry, GHG offsetting), climate change adaptation; (e.g. adaptation of agriculture/industry or also adaptation in climate negotiations or national adaptation planning processes)
- Knowledge of international and German climate policies and of climate negotiations
- Ideally vast knowledge of one or more sector-specific topics and cross-cutting issues such as gender, vulnerable groups or results monitoring
- Knowledge of work within and with German ministries from personal experience, and knowledge of the relevant instruments and procedures in international development cooperation are an advantage
- You have contacts at other bilateral and multilateral donors and in the consulting industry, at scientific institutions, think tanks and other civil society stakeholders
- Diplomatic and intercultural skills
- Fluent in German and English; a further foreign language (preferably French or Spanish) is advantageous
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.
+49 (0) 6196 79 3200