Job Title: Forest Carbon Solutions Analyst
Work Experience (min years): 2
Employment Type: Full-time employment
Required Education: Masters Degree in forestry or related environmental/resource studies
Job Duties: As a Forest Carbon Solutions Analyst, you will join our growing offset origination and advisory services team where your core focus will be to contribute to a variety of technical and advisory projects across our client and project portfolio. You will play a key role in helping landowners throughout Canada evaluate and develop forest carbon opportunities that support sustainable forest management. This work will cover a broad spectrum of activities ranging from optimizing project baselines, to leading a field verification, to presenting project proposals. You will be supporting both prospective and existing partners of Bluesource from both a technical and business development perspective. You will take on significant responsibility for the management of your own projects within a supportive and collaborative team environment.
The ideal candidate will be at home in the office and the woods. This is an excellent opportunity for a technically skilled, early-career professional seeking a dynamic position in the center of the forest carbon market.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Advise clients on, and lead multi-disciplinary teams in, the design and implementation of forest carbon offset projects.
- Lead forest carbon modeling efforts for both voluntary and compliance offset projects.
- Develop project and baseline harvest prescriptions while optimizing credit generation.
- Perform statistical analyses and database management of forest inventories.
- Draft carbon project documentation.
- Respond to verifier, registry, and government regulator findings/questions.
- Compare financial returns of various forest management strategies.
- Maintain project timelines and meet strict deadlines.
- Manage third-party inventory execution and lead field audit portion of project verification.
- Support project development for other carbon offset categories (biomass, organic waste digestion, fertilizer management, etc.)
- Travel when necessary to project sites and/or conferences.
- Articulate Bluesource’s value proposition to potential clients.
- Support contracting of new projects and new business opportunities in ecosystem services space.
Qualifications: This position is best suited to a self-motivated individual with a strong work ethic, proven technical abilities, clear communication skills, and a high level of technical writing proficiency. The ability to take the initiative and work independently, as well as to work in a team environment, are both highly valued. Candidates should also be able to demonstrate:
- A great attitude and a passion for the environment and making a difference.
- Degree in forestry (or another applicable scientific discipline).
- Solid quantitative skills, mastery of Microsoft Excel, and proficiency in statistical analysis.
- Expertise in forest growth and yield modeling and experience in carbon modeling.
- Expertise in Geographic Information Systems mapping and analysis.
- Experience in forest inventory design.
- Experience in forest management plan and harvest plan design.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Expertise in project management and demonstrated ability to coordinate among various stakeholders.
- Ability to self-motivate and work both independently and in a collaborative team setting.
- Advanced knowledge of forest carbon policy, carbon protocols, and carbon accounting standards.
- Experience marketing forestry services to forest owners, investors, and advisors is a plus.
- Experience working in a variety of North American forest types is a plus.
Organizational Information: Blue Source Canada is the leading developer of marketable attributes associated with environmental impact reduction. We have partnered with organizations to generate over 100 million tonnes of greenhouse gas (GHG) reductions and have helped incentive significant new capacity in renewable fuels. We also offer GHG reduction related services and solutions which we deliver to our clients across North America in industrial sectors as varied as renewable energy, oil & gas, higher education, and forestry. Our diverse project experience includes projects ranging from forest carbon, wind power to biomass-to-energy, anaerobic digestion of wastewater to acid gas injection, energy efficiency to composting.
We are a passionate group of people dedicated to delivering real GHG emission reduction and efficiency projects, services and strategies and we are looking for enthusiastic, personable and like-minded team players to join our team to help us increase our positive impact. We offer a convenient office location in downtown Calgary. We offer flexible working hours, competitive benefits, an entrepreneurial culture and a positive, supportive working atmosphere.
Blue Source annually reports its GHG footprint to The Climate Registry and retires sufficient offsets to ensure carbon neutrality.
For more information, please review our website at www.bluesourcecan.com. Should you be interested in the opportunity, please contact Jamie MacKinnon at firstname.lastname@example.org and Jonathan Smith at email@example.com.