The Green Climate Fund (“GCF”) is a new multilateral fund created to make a significant and ambitious contribution to the global efforts towards attaining the goals set by the international community to combat climate change.
GCF will contribute to the achievement of the ultimate objective of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). In the context of sustainable development, GCF will promote the paradigm shift towards low-emission and climate-resilient development pathways by providing support to developing countries to limit or reduce their greenhouse gas emissions and to adapt to the impacts of climate change, taking into account the needs of those developing countries particularly vulnerable to the adverse effects of climate change.
GCF is governed by a Board, composed of an equal representation of developed and developing countries. The Fund is operated by an independent Secretariat headed by an Executive Director. GCF will pursue a country-driven approach in its operations.
The Fund seeks to recruit a Forest and Climate Operations Analyst Consultant to join its team at its headquarters in Songdo, Republic of Korea. The assignment is for one year-period.
The Forest and Climate Change Operations Analyst will support the Secretariat in the implementation of the activities of the GCF related to forest and land use sector, with emphasis on REDD+ activities, including support in the implementation of the pilot programme for REDD+ results-based payments. This will include reviewing concept notes and funding proposals, preparing the corresponding templates, guidance documents, presentations, communications material, preparing and presenting webinars as well portfolio management of REDD+ projects, review of project preparation facility applications and requests for readiness support for REDD+ activities. In addition, the consultant will support in the development of other relevant GCF documents in response to recent Board decisions on the replenishment process of the GCF.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Principal Forest and Land Use Specialist, the Consultant will be responsible for but not limited to:
- Supporting in project and programme pipeline preparation, including review of forest and land use project/programme funding proposals and concept notes; participation in and preparation of minutes of the meetings and bilateral conversations with accredited entities;
- Assisting the preparation of board documents, including background research, collecting and analyzing data, conducting specific research and analytical work, drafting written inputs, engagement through email and phone calls with other GCF consultants and experts, and oversight and coordination of the relevant document internally up to the point of publication;
- Assisting in the implementation of the Fund’s pilot programme for results-based payments (RBP) for REDD+, including the review of funding proposals, trainings and communications material;
- Participation in and organizational and substantive support for the Fund’s Board meetings and other events and meetings related to the functioning of the Fund. This may include assisting in the preparation of relevant documentation, taking meeting minutes, preparing summaries of discussions for the Report of the Meeting, and providing support for the drafting of decisions;
- Support in the development of initiatives to engage with the private sector in forest and land use projects and programmes.
- Process, monitor, review and follows-up on actions related to the administration of the Secretariat’s activities in projects second level due-diligence and portfolio management of forest and land use projects;
- Enter, maintain and certify administrative data and record, establish and maintain both electronic and hard copy filing systems of REDD+ projects;
- Format, proof-read, and edit texts for adherence to established standards, grammar, and style in official documents, reports, and invitation letters related to the preparation of GCF Board documents on REDD+;
- Maintain official records files and information material of REDD+ projects;
- Assist in preparation and logistical planning for various events e.g. conferences, workshops, interviews, other formal and informal meetings related to the preparation of GCF Board documents on REDD+;
- Support any additional analytical and operational tasks as assigned by the Supervisor.
Required experience and qualifications
- Master’s degree in forestry, ecology, environmental economics, finance, sustainable development, climate policy, environmental sciences, law, or related fields;
- Three (3) to four (4) years of relevant work experience;
- Solid understanding of the GCF policies, procedures, governance structure.
- Deep understanding and knowledge of the GCF activities on REDD+ including the pilot program for REDD+ results-based payments, engagement with the private sector and alternative policy approaches, including joint mitigation and adaptation.
- Applicants should demonstrate good knowledge and understanding of the policy and methodological guidance on REDD+ provided by the COP to the UNFCCC, including the Warsaw Framework for REDD+
- Experience in an international setting, and ability to work independently and take initiative in response to the Fund’s needs;
- Experience in developing policy documents, conducting research analysis and articulating findings and recommendations;
- Familiarity of multilateral climate funds, project financing, and UNFCCC framework;
- Excellent business writing and presentation skills;
- Ability to articulate complex issues verbally and in writing in a concise manner;
- Strong competence and autonomy in the use of standard software programmes: Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook; and
- Fluency in English is essential; knowledge of another United Nations language is an advantage.
Applications from women and nationals of developing countries are strongly encouraged.
Interested candidates are required to send an e-mail attaching their CV and a letter of interest in a single PDF file to: firstname.lastname@example.org
File name: “[last name], [first name]” (e.g. Olsson, Anna)
Subject line: “Forest and Climate Operations Analyst Consultant”
Please indicate your earliest availability to take up the assignment.
Closing date for applications is 05 October 2018 (KST). Applications submitted after the closing date may not be considered.