Assignment period: 10/15/2018 – 03/31/2019
Type of employment: full-time
Application deadline: 09/17/2018
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. For our operations in Kampala/Uganda, we are looking for an Intern (m/f) at the Global Carbon Markets Programme.
Background of the project
The German Federal Ministry of the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU) initiated the Global Carbon Markets Programme as part of the Clean Development Mechanism/Joint Implementation (CDM/JI) initiative. The goal is to promote the utilisation of the flexible mechanisms under the Kyoto Protocol and support actors in the transition to the new market mechanisms under the Paris Agreement. In this regard, the project aims to promote carbon markets in Uganda and the East African region. It supports to enable Uganda and East African countries to play a stronger role in the use and further development of carbon market opportunities.
Furthermore, the project focuses its activities on the transfer of successful approaches and experiences of the Kyoto Protocol into the Paris Agreement. It supports to ensure the continuity of current CDM projects, the design of Article 6 of the Paris Agreement by supporting the piloted implementation of the article in detail countries and the linking of carbon market activities with the national climate change policies and Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs).
The intern supports the project lead and the senior technical advisors with the following tasks:
- planning, coordination and documentation of workshops, trainings and other project activities
- preparation and conduction of technical guidance in the development and implementation of climate change policies and strategies at both national and regional level (East Africa)
- organising and supporting meetings (producing agendas and taking minutes)
- developing and disseminating public relations materials that increase the visibility of the project among relevant stakeholders
- preparing communication materials such as project fact sheets and power point presentations
- Bachelor’s/Master’s students environment related course or professional qualification in climate change, energy, environment or natural resource management or higher studies not more than 6 months ago
- good knowledge about international climate discussions and relevant international frameworks such as the United Nation Framework for Climate Change Convention (UNFCCC) and the Paris Agreement
- good communication skills both orally and in writing, good presentation skills
- good research and writing/editing skills
- strong organisational skills
Please be informed that you are only allowed to apply for this internship, if you are currently enrolled as a student or graduated not longer than six months ago.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
For further information, please contact Mr Markus Francke (Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org).
We pay a monthly stipend of € 1.520,- (gross) and depending on the country of assignment a monthly axpatgriation allowance (gross), predetermined by GIZ will be paid on top.