Do you have experience providing advisory to companies, financial intermediaries and/or project sponsors on how climate investments can be an opportunity for their business?
Background: The Investment Operations Department (INO) is responsible for generating a portfolio of high quality, creditworthy, and environmentally and socially sound projects that result in significant development impact. The business cycle goes from the identification, selection, origination and execution of transactions to their monitoring. INO follows a matrix model, with three Segment Divisions covering Infrastructure and Energy, Financial Institutions and Corporates, and three transversal areas such as the Financial Products and Services Division the Advisory Services and Blended Finance Team, and the Portfolio Management Division.
Our team: At the Climate Advisory Team you will work with all segments and cross cutting areas. You will provide technical and operational support to transactions that include climate investments, at the same time will seek to generate better markets by generating practical knowledge that support private entities to act on climate.
What you will do:
You will lead climate advisory projects, including performing the following activities:
- Work hand in hand with IDB Invest clients in LAC, particularly corporates in the tourism, agribusiness, manufacturing and telecom sectors, financial intermediaries and infrastructure companies, to develop climate advisory solutions that improve their business performance and contribute to mitigate or adapt to the effects of climate change;
- Implement a portfolio of climate advisory service projects with clients;
- Act as climate finance solution provider for Segment Divisions by building and nurturing relationships with Investment Officers in Segment Divisions; and
- Collaborate with Segment Divisions to originate sustainable investments that include advisory services related to climate (forestry, renewable energy, energy efficiency, climate smart agriculture) and support throughout IDB Invest operating cycle to mainstream climate considerations.
In addition, at a corporate level, you will
- Support the implementation of the IDBG action plan to double climate finance by 2020;
- Contribute and/or write internal monitoring and evaluation reports required for Donors. Prepare and participate in the periodic meetings with donors;
- Keep abreast of industry and regulation dynamics within the climate community and how it impacts the region’s private sector (in either priority segment), sharing market intelligence across the segment and within the IDBG as relevant;
- Help coordinate IDB Invest’s work on climate finance with the IDB, in particular with the Climate Change and Sustainability division (CCS), leveraging IDBG’s ability to partner with both the public and private sectors to offer the best solutions to clients;
- Support the climate finance partnership efforts and engage private actors in the capital value chain, including asset owners, investment and commercial banks, insurance companies and stock exchanges for advancing a cutting edge sustainable finance value proposition for the financial intermediaries, project sponsors and companies;
- Provide technical advice and supporting the development of IDBG Country Strategies and IDB Invest’s multi-year Business Plans in relation to climate finance to help identify and overcome relevant specific institutional and regulatory issues;
- Support the execution of knowledge products necessary to prove the business case for climate-smart investments; and
- Overseeing preparation of lessons learned related to advisory services within and outside the IDBG. Disseminating information to project teams on transaction strengths, weaknesses, risks and risk mitigation options and work on press release, brochures, knowledge products and IDB Invest’s blog posts.
Skills you will need:
- Education: You hold an advanced degree (Master’s, MBA or equivalent) in economics, international development, public and/or international affairs, finance, business administration, engineering or other relevant field;
- Experience: You have at least five (5) years of relevant climate advisory experience in working with private sector entities. Proven work experience in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) and experience that provides insights in the workings of international organizations, bilateral agencies and donors, and the global context of development finance, in climate.
You possess a deep understanding of the operational work of IDB Invest or similar multilateral institution. Sector knowledge in the industries in which we operate as well as experience in an international environment, preferably in LAC.
- Languages: you are fluent in English and Spanish. Portuguese or French is a plus.
- Type of Contract: Fixed term.
- Length of Contract: 3 years
- Starting Date: 10/16/2018
- Location: IDBG Country Offices in Buenos Aires (Argentina), Bogota (Colombia), Panama City (Panama) or Port of Spain (Trinidad & Tobago).
Our culture: Working with us you will be surrounded by a diverse group of people who have years of experience in all types of development fields, including transportation, health, gender and diversity, communications and much more.
About us: IDB Invest, a member of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) Group, is a multilateral organization based in Washington, D.C., that is committed to the development of Latin America and the Caribbean through the private sector.
IDB Invest offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
IDB Invest is committed to diversity and inclusion and to providing equal opportunities in employment. We embrace diversity on the basis of gender, age, education, national origin, ethnic origin, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, and HIV/AIDs status. We encourage women, Afro-descendants and persons of indigenous origins to apply.