Job Title: Intern, Landscape Standard
Location: Washington, DC
Start Date: Immediate, July-September, with possibility to extend
Reports to: Manager, Landscape Standard
Verra seeks an Intern to support research and administration for the Landscape Standard. The ideal candidate will have strong written and verbal communication skills, qualitative research experience and interest in sustainability.
Verra supports climate action and sustainable development through the development and management of standards, tools and programs that credibly, transparently and robustly assess environmental and social impacts, and drive funding for sustaining and scaling up these benefits. As a mission-driven, non-profit (NGO) organization, Verra works in any arena where we see a need for clear standards, a role for market-driven mechanisms and an opportunity to achieve environmental and social good.
Verra currently manages a number of global standards frameworks designed to drive finance towards activities that mitigate climate change and promote sustainable development, including the Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) Program and its Jurisdictional and Nested REDD+ framework (JNR), the Verra California Offset Project Registry (OPR), and the Climate, Community & Biodiversity (CCB) Standards.
Verra is also developing new standards frameworks, including the Sustainable Development Verified Impact Standard (SD VISta) to enable project developers to demonstrate the sustainable development benefits of their projects, and the Landscape Standard to promote and measure sustainability outcomes across landscapes.
Finally, Verra is one of the implementing partners of the Initiative for Climate Action Transparency (ICAT), which helps countries assess the impacts of their climate actions and supports greater transparency, effectiveness, trust and ambition in climate policies worldwide.
The Intern will be responsible for supporting the development of the Landscape Standard. In particular, the Intern will:
- Provide research support, particularly related to:
- existing and emerging environmental, social and governance (ESG) reporting tools in the financial industry;
- risk assessment tools for land-based investments (such as agriculture and timber);
- impact investment screening protocols used by financial institutions; and
- consumer goods companies’ sustainability commitments within relevant geographies.
- Support grant and general administration for the Landscape Standard team, including
supporting with database management, website updates, and communication
- Provide other support to the Landscape Standard team as needed.
We are seeking candidates who have qualitative research experience, excel in written and verbal communication and have a demonstrated interest in and knowledge of commodity supply chain sustainability and/or impact investment.
You should have:
- A Bachelor’s degree;
- Relevant academic or work experience in sustainability, commodity supply chains, impact investment, or agricultural economics;
- Current enrollment in (or recent graduate of) a relevant Master’s degree, or 1-2 years relevant work experience preferred;
- Proficiency in MS Office and Google Drive;
- Strong writing, editing and communication skills; and,
- Positive, professional approach to collaboration
Fluency in Spanish, French, Portuguese or Bahasa Indonesia would be an asset but is not required.
How to Apply
Verra offers a competitive stipend to interns. Eligibility to work in the United States (i.e., US citizen or holding current work authorization) is required.
To apply, please send us the following:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page)
- Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages)
All applications should be submitted to Rachel Wallach at email@example.com and will be considered on a rolling basis.