ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Climate Policy Initiative is a team of analysts and advisers that works to improve the most pressing energy and land use questions of today and tomorrow. The team has a particular focus on finance and it’s nexus with policy. We work for decision makers to use analysis to work out what works and what does not. We work in places that provide the most potential for policy impact, including Brazil, Europe, India, Indonesia, and the United States.
CPI is a small but dynamic organisation, with a global reach and an entrepreneurial culture. We work hard to maintain an idea-driven, collaborative environment across all our teams. The Energy Finance team is currently scaling up in readiness for a major programme of work aimed at incorporating climate change and sustainability risks into financial markets and policy-making in a more systematic fashion than has been done to date.
CPI provides an intellectually challenging environment and is committed to professional development, encouraging staff to actively engage in opportunities to learn new skills and acquire new expertise.
CPI offers a challenging environment that requires independent thinking, intense relationship management, effective collaboration and pragmatic problem-solving skills. CPI is looking for a talented, highly skilled and motivated Consultant to join its Energy Finance programme, which focuses on the potential for financial and policy innovations to drive a transition to low carbon energy.
The successful applicant will lead and undertake robust analysis that draws on methodologies from a range of disciplines including public policy, finance, and economics. In conducting analysis, he/she will be required to work closely with a range of local and international partners, including government agencies, investor groups, project developers, electric utilities, and other private sector actors. Furthermore, the Consultant will be expected to work closely with the Executive Director to support day-to-day management of the CPI Energy Finance programme and operations. Some regional and international travel may be required.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Includes the following and others as assigned:
- Manage rigorous qualitative and quantitative analysis and evaluation of energy policies and energy infrastructure financing.
- Produce high-quality materials on short deadlines.
- Help develop, maintain, coordinate and facilitate strong relationships and good communication with business partners, clients, and team members.
- Interact with policymakers, private sector participants and other stakeholders on a regular basis to conduct joint analysis, communicate research findings effectively, and/or to ensure analysis undertaken is policy relevant.
- Help manage staff in the London team and provide guidance across the CPI network.
- Support the Executive Director for ad-hoc research efforts in line with the mission of CPI Energy Finance.
- Travel in support of CPI Energy Finance, as necessary.
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
The successful applicant will have the following minimum qualifications:
- In-depth understanding of the European regulatory landscape and processes for energy infrastructure at both the national and pan-European levels: upstream energy markets, energy intensive industries (such as cement, steel, chemicals), power generation (both low carbon and carbon-intensive), transmission & distribution networks, customer side of the meter, etc. Understanding of energy markets beyond the European Union is desirable.
- A good understanding of key financing structures in the European energy markets including corporate, project finance and the asset management process.
- Experience working in Africa or with companies in Africa would be highly desirable.
- An insightful, independent, analytical mind with a strong track record of top-notch analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and teams.
- Ability to communicate methods, results and recommendations from complex qualitative and quantitative analysis to expert and non-technical audiences.
- Familiarity and comfort working with government officials, academics and research organisations, and leaders from the private sector.
- Professionalism, enthusiasm for working as part of a team, and ability to interact with a diverse group of people.
- Respect for your fellow colleagues and a deep commitment to the mission and values of CPI.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Fluency in other languages would be highly desirable.
- Master’s degree in Economics, Finance, Public Policy or recognised professional finance qualification (e.g. ACA, CFA)
- A combination of any of the above with a background in Engineering would be highly desirable.
- 6+ years of experience analysing, designing or complying with policy and market mechanisms in the energy or industrial sectors in Europe.
- Experience working with government or private sector experience (leading consulting firm, think tank, financial institution, utility, large industrial etc.).
- Proven project management track record.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The position is available for immediate appointment. The position will be based in London. Travel will be required. CPI offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience.
Visit https://climatepolicy.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=65 to submit an application. With your application, attach two documents: (1) CV/resume, (2) a cover letter, followed by a writing sample of 5 pages or less that has not been edited by anyone other than yourself.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Climate Policy Initiative is an equal opportunity employer.