Senior Investment Manager
About Nexus for Development
Nexus is a key network and finance partner making low-carbon solutions count toward the Global Goals. We are based in Southeast Asia and collaborate with partners around the world to create and deploy innovative financing tools.
Since being founded in 2009 as a non-profit company registered in Singapore, our expertise has evolved to offer a range of technical and financial services. We currently support the growth and impact of 20 members and clean energy entrepreneurs. Building sustainable partnerships is at the cornerstone of our work.
Our staff is comprised of an international and diverse team of 15 people based in Southeast Asia and Europe.
To achieve our mission, Nexus engages with several international actors including:
- Member organizations, similar development practitioners and entrepreneurs (social enterprises, NGOs)
- Private sector companies and corporates, impact investors and donors
- Researchers, policy makers as well as international standards and associations
For more information, visit http://www.nexusfordevelopment.org/
Nexus seeks a dynamic and driven Senior Investment Manager for our innovative impact funds. They will be responsible for growing and managing the portfolio of investments from the fund called “The Pioneer Facility” as well as supporting our other clean energy and low-carbon investments. The Pioneer Facility is a debt financing mechanism for fast-growing social enterprises that sustainably address climate change by supplying affordable energy, water and sanitation solutions. Other funds provide debt to support clean energy technologies or provide financing to specific purpose or service.
The Senior Investment Manager will report to the Director of Programs and work closely with the Programs Team. The selected candidate will play a significant role in shaping Nexus’ mission and the implementation of our alternative financing schemes.
- Due Diligence: Lead the financial and operational due diligence on projects sourced for multiple funds with various qualifications. Due diligence includes qualitative and quantitative analysis of the business with a focus on financial viability, financial stress-testing, risk-based analysis, site visits, and relevant sector research. The Senior Investment Manager will be part of the team responsible for drafting pre-screening and full due-diligence reports for internal review and presenting the report to the Investment Committee for final approval.
- Sourcing and representation: Senior Investment Manager, together with the Investment Manager are responsible for developing the pipeline of qualified social enterprises for the Pioneer Facility. Initial steps typically include setting up meetings, phone conferences and an initial review of business plans.
- Prepare and negotiate investment contracts in coordination with the Investment Manager
- Prepare financial reporting on the funds to investors and donors
- Analyse and appraise the investments portfolio performance including monitoring and reviewing progress of business plans of the investees
- Coordinate with the Pioneer Facility auditors, administrator, lawyers and bankers
- Liaise with the investment committee of the Pioneer Facility and coordinate with the Business Development team on fundraising efforts
- Contribute to continuous improvement and streamlining of investment processes and presentation tools at Nexus
- Promote the Pioneer Facility and other Nexus funds through networking, relationship building and attending/participating in relevant conferences, events, and webinars
Competitive candidates will have:
- Degree in Finance, Business Management, Economics or a related field. Chartered Financial Analyst qualification (CFA) is a plus
- Previous experience (3-5 years) in financial investment analysis with social enterprises in emerging markets
- Strong analytical and financial modelling skills
- Strong interest in impact investing, development finance or social enterprise work
- Experience originating and deal structuring in the development space
- Demonstrated experience in project management, and detail-oriented with high standard of performance
- Self-motivated, driven and proactive team player with excellent, interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent writing skills; fluent in English (verbally and written)
The opportunity offers:
- Wide ranging experience in a flexible and dynamic environment
- Further exposure to environmental and impact finance in the developing world
- Competitive salary depending on the profile and relevant experience + benefits
How to apply
Please submit a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Cover letters should explicitly address how you meet the key qualifications and include specific examples from a previous work experiences. The subject of the email should read: “Application Senior Investment Manager”.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the 31st of May 2018
|Role Title||Senior Investment Manager|
|Location||Phnom Penh, Cambodia; some remote working possible; approx. 25-30% of travel time.|
|Reporting to||Director of Programs|
|Resource person||Investment Manager and the rest of Programs team|
|Term||Unspecified duration, contract under Cambodian law|
|Remuneration package||28 – 33K USD per annum depending on profile and experience (subject to approx. 10-15% taxation; and benefiting from local competitive cost of living). Family allowance (if applicable). Training and relocation benefits. Annual flight home provided for international staff.|
Please note that only applications addressing the above-mentioned responsibilities, opportunities and challenges will be considered.