About Nexus for Development
Nexus is a key network and finance partner making low-carbon solutions count toward the Global Goals. We are based in Southeast Asia and collaborate with partners around the world to create and deploy innovative financing tools.
Since being founded in 2009 as a non-profit company registered in Singapore, our expertise has evolved to offer a range of technical and financial services. We currently support the growth and impact of 20 members and clean energy entrepreneurs. Building sustainable partnerships is at the cornerstone of our work.
Our staff is comprised of an international and diverse team of 15 people based in Southeast Asia and Europe.
To achieve our mission, Nexus engages with several international actors including:
- Member organizations, similar development practitioners and entrepreneurs (social enterprises, NGOs)
- Private sector companies and corporates, impact investors and donors
- Researchers, policy makers as well as international standards and associations
For more information, visit http://www.nexusfordevelopment.org/
Leadership and Growth
The Executive Director leads the work of the secretariat team and drives the growth of the organisation. They are responsible for designing the strategy and identifying new opportunities for growth whilst ensuring the organization stays true to its core mission and values.
Over the past 4 years, Nexus has worked to grow and strengthen its expertise. Our funding base has shifted from a fully subsidized model to increased reliance on revenue generating activities. Grant funding has been targeted to support specific developments and some of these new activities are designed to contribute to Nexus financial sustainability.
The Executive Director will be responsible for continuing to grow and develop revenue generating services, including:
- financing facilities for clean energy, clean water and sanitation solutions
- technical assistance for carbon certification
- carbon asset management
The Executive Director will also be responsible for driving the development of other core activities, in particular knowledge sharing between members and facilitation of networking opportunities.
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors comprised of individuals representing both Nexus members and external organizations. The Executive Director also sits on the Board of Directors of the Pioneer Facility, a debt fund launched by Nexus in 2017 that provides finance to social businesses that address climate change by supplying sustainable, affordable energy, water and sanitation solutions.
Strategy and Growth
The Executive Director drives strategic planning activities aimed at diversifying the suite of services offered to members and similar entrepreneurs working in the clean energy, clean water and sanitation sectors:
- Identify new opportunities for Nexus growth and design appropriate strategies, in collaboration with secretariat team leaders and representatives from member organizations.
- Undertake fundraising, in close collaboration with the Business Development team, for the different activities and funds managed by Nexus.
- Grow Nexus’ role as a facilitator between entrepreneurs and between entrepreneurs and financiers (donors, impact investors, corporates…).
- Provide strategic leadership to position Nexus favourably for further innovative financing schemes.
- Provide direct management and build strategic relationships with donors, investors and key partners.
- Promote Nexus at high profile events and to potential new partners and funders.
Management and coordination
The Executive Director is responsible for perpetuating Nexus’ values, mission and reputation for quality and delivery. She/he provides direct oversight of the secretariat team to define the resources and structure needed for Nexus to drive its mission. The team includes the Program Management Director, the Business Development Director and the Finance and Administration Manager.
- Monitor Nexus financial situation and ensure that the Board receives quarterly financial reports.
- Oversee the application of internal HR policy and coordinate with Nexus’ corporate secretary to ensure compliance with Singapore corporate requirements.
- Lead strategic decisions to ensure they are made in a collaborative, efficient, and transparent manner and oversee that Nexus resources are used responsibly to serve the organization’s mission.
- Progress the vision of Nexus by engaging with members, new networks and partners to understand their needs and inform them of existing and new activities.
Skills and Experience
Successful candidates must demonstrate high level ability, skills and knowledge in the following areas:
- Leadership: leading and managing a dynamic and high performing multicultural team.
- Financial acumen: interpreting financial data to drive corporate strategic thinking and direction, and support investment management activities.
- Fundraising track record: delivering significant fundraising results independently and also working collaboratively with a Business Development team.
- Communication skills: communicating with multiple stakeholders (team, members, donors, investors), conveying complex messages in a simple yet accurate way.
- Climate and Development knowledge: understanding the stakes, challenges and opportunities in climate and development sectors, and having an established network of contacts in development agencies, private foundations, impact investors and development organizations.
- Value-driven mission: demonstrating commitment to value-driven delivery and having a track record of working for like-minded organizations.
We are looking for candidates who have a passion for climate and development issues with a successful track record in revenue generation/growth management. Candidates who are familiar with impact investment and/or fund management preferred.
- At ease working in a small dynamic structure, where tasks and responsibilities are fluid.
- Able to operate in a multicultural environment and manage international teams.
- Proactive and solutions oriented, with proven adaptability and ability to work under deadlines and pressure.
- Experience in or with not-for-profit organisations, with proven capacity to fundraise.
- Passion to remain at the forefront of sustainable development funding.
- Demonstrated experience in the development and execution of strategies and business plans.
|Role Title:||Executive Director|
|Location:||Phnom Penh, Cambodia; some remote working possible; approx. 25-30% of travel time.|
|Reporting to:||Board of Directors|
|Direct reports:||3 to 4 Directors and Managers|
|Term:||Unspecified duration contract under Cambodian law|
|Remuneration package:||45 -50k USD per annum (circa 12-13% taxation; benefiting from local competitive cost of living). Family allowance (if applicable). Training and relocation benefits. Annual flight home provided for international staff.|
How to apply:
To apply, please submit a CV and a cover letter to email@example.com with the subject “Application to Executive Director role”. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the 28 of May 2018 or until suitable applicant is found.
In your cover letter please explain why you are well prepared to take on the responsibilities of this position, and what opportunities, challenges and strategies you envisage for Nexus in the current context.
Please note that only applications which address the above-mentioned responsibilities, opportunities and challenges in their application submission will be considered.