The Senior Associate reports to the US Climate Alliance Executive Director. The Senior Associate supports and responds to state-led initiatives, and works with the Energy and Climate team at the United Nations Foundation, which houses the Alliance Secretariat.
Climate Policy Support
- Work with the Executive Director to support Alliance states in the development and execution of strategy, including research and analysis on policy, in close consultation with state experts.
- Liaise with stakeholders to identify opportunities for collaboration.
- Conduct analysis and develop briefing papers on state-level climate policy, federal actions related to climate and clean energy, and international climate efforts.
- Support the planning and implementation of high-impact events, including organizing meetings and guest lists, developing a work plan, and communicating information to relevant staff and teams.
- Coordinating emissions and commitment tracking with research/analytical partners, and coordinating with groups doing complementary work.
- Lead the development of a comprehensive traditional and digital communications strategy to support the Alliance’s strategic plan.
- Coordinate with press and press secretaries in offices of each Alliance state.
- Draft press releases, op-eds, Q&A, talking points and other press material.
- Lead the development and execution of a crisis communications strategy, as needed
- Maintain the Alliance website, ensuring information is up-to-date, represents the Alliance’s broad membership, and effectively communicates the Alliance’s work to stakeholders.
- Manage and build the Alliance’s social media presence.
- Assist in managing the operations of the Alliance, including tracking all action items, coordinating outreach, managing contacts, and drafting correspondence.
- Handle all aspects of travel arrangements in a timely manner, including: preparing appropriate forms for travel approval, making all hotel and transportation arrangements, scheduling meetings, and providing detailed itineraries.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- 3-5 years experience in climate policy and communications essential, with significant experience working with governments or other political figures.
- As part of a small team, maximum flexibility in accepting and professionally executing a range of tasks is required.
- Experience leading communications strategy, including managing press and crisis communications, strongly desired.
- Demonstrated knowledge of state politics and state climate policy strongly desired.
- Experience in events management, coordinating multi-stakeholder processes, and engagement in national or international climate coalitions a plus.
- Flexibility in taking on other tasks as needed, including administrative, is required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required, including strong drafting ability and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple, competing priorities in a fast-paced environment within limited timeframes.
- Diplomatic and able to work effectively with leaders across a range of government, private sector and civil society organizations.
- Ability to work independently as well as member of a team; and ability to take initiative.
- Extreme personal discretion with sensitive information.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite to include Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
- Proficiency in or ability to learn Square Space, Word Press, or other website management software.
- Demonstrated use of social media to effectively communicate climate policy.
- Cheerful, friendly, enthusiastic, and dependable.
- Personal commitment to advancing the climate and clean energy agenda in the United States and internationally.
- Ability to work outside normal office hours during surges (e.g. in the lead up to major events) and respond quickly to urgent requests.
- Ability to adhere to UNF’s attendance policy
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
For full-time employees we offer an excellent range of benefits, including a choice of two health plans through CareFirst (PPO or HDHP). Dental insurance, vision discount plan, Life Insurance, Supplemental Life Insurance, Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability, Long-Term Care Insurance, Health Club Discounts, Commuter Benefits, and Employee Assistance Program.
12 Paid holidays, 4 weeks of vacation, 10 sick days, 3 personal days and 8 weeks of parental leave (mother or father). Access to the UNFCU Credit Union, 150% match on our 403b retirement plan, Flexible spending accounts, health savings accounts and discounted Zipcar membership.