Verra (Formerly the Verified Carbon Standard, VCS) is looking for a Director to lead the guidance development team under the Initiative for Climate Action Transparency (ICAT). The team has developed a series of guidance documents for assessing the greenhouse gas, sustainable development and transformational impacts of policies and actions. Work under the grant will continue into mid-2019 and the crucial next stage of work is to test the draft guidance with specific policies, predominantly in developing countries. Lessons learned will be incorporated into the next version of the guidance.
ICAT helps countries assess the impacts of their climate actions and supports greater transparency, effectiveness, trust and ambition in climate policies worldwide. It is a multi-donor initiative managed by the United Nations Office of Project Services (UNOPS) and governed by two entities: the Donor Oversight Committee, consisting of the donors to the initiative, and an Advisory Committee, consisting of experts in the fields of policy implementation and international climate negotiations. Four organizations—Italian National Institute for Environmental Protection and Research, UNEP DTU Partnership, Verified Carbon Standard and World Resources Institute—comprise the Initiative Coordination Team and oversee the development of the ICAT series of guidance and capacity building for policymakers and practitioners.
Verra supports climate action and sustainable development with standards, tools and programs that credibly, transparently and robustly assess environmental and social impacts, and enable funding for sustaining and scaling up these benefits. We run several standards programs and work in any arena where we see a need for clear standards, a role for market-based mechanisms and an opportunity to achieve environmental and social good.
Verra manages a number of partners, subgrantees and consultants in developing the ICAT series of guidance. As the manager of this guidance development team you will be central to the success of ICAT. Your principal tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Manage the guidance development team and assume responsibility for all its outputs
- Manage Verra ICAT team
- Serve on the Initiative Coordination Team to help guide ICAT strategy
- Support ICAT implementation partners in testing the series of guidance in ICAT partner countries
- Devise and execute a strategy for testing the series of guidance with other countries and practitioners
- Manage the development of subsequent drafts of the guidance, ensuring the overall quality and coherence of the guidance
- Assume specific responsibility for 2-3 of the guidance documents, managing and assisting with methodological issues and the drafting process with consultants and technical working group members
- Manage the publication of the final guidance
- Work with ICAT implementation partners to foster uptake of the guidance
- Oversee grant reporting
We are seeking candidates who have strong project management skills, excel in relationship-building and have good writing skills. You should have:
- A track record of managing multi-partner, multi-year initiatives/projects with diverse groups of stakeholders
- Experience providing MRV-related capacity building support to developing countries
- Excellent technical writing, spoken communication and presentation skills
- A strong understanding of guidance development processes
- MRV experience in the energy, transport, agriculture and/or forestry sectors and within the UNFCCC context are plusses but are not requirements
How to Apply
Compensation depends on experience and is highly competitive. Eligibility to work in the United States (i.e., US citizen or holding current work authorization) preferred (US work visas will not be sponsored, but remote work may be possible for the right hire).
To apply, please send us the following:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page)
- Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages)
- 1-2 samples of relevant written work (e.g., reports, case studies, guidance documents or fact sheets on relevant topics)
All applications should be submitted to Rachel Wallach at email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on rolling basis as and when they are received.