|PROJECT MANAGER, GREEN CLIMATE FUND (GCF) AGENCY
Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
In July 2015, Conservation International (CI) became the first international Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) to be approved as an Accredited Entity for the Green Climate Fund (GCF). The CI-GCF Agency, a dedicated division within CI, works closely with the GCF secretariat, national governments, other CI programs and partner organizations around the world to identify, design and implement projects that meet the GCF’s ambitious standards.
As a member of the CI-GCF Agency, the Project Manager is based in CI’s Arlington, Virginia headquarters. The Project Manager supports the design, implementation, monitoring, and reporting for the Agency’s portfolio of multimillion-dollar projects. The position reports directly to the Senior Director, Project Development & Implementation under supervision of the Vice President, GCF Agency.
- Following the approval of projects by the GCF Board, support the project start-up process, including the hiring of key project staff, the establishment of the governance structure of the project, planning of kick-off meetings, and guidance on GCF policies and monitoring requirements.
- Design customized reporting and tracking system for the projects in the portfolio.
- Track both 1) the compliance of project implementation with GCF policies, CI policies and safeguards 2) the performance of the projects with the target indicators, logical framework, workplan and budget through regular reporting and on-site supervision missions.
- Liaise with project staff to receive, review and synthesize monitoring information to support adaptive management and ensure timely compliance with internal and GCF monitoring and reporting requirements, especially to produce the GCF annual performance reports (APRs).
- Build solid relationships throughout the organization to support a successful implementation of the project.
- Work closely with the Finance staff of the CI-GCF team on matters like budget and burn rate, cash disbursement, sub-granting to potential partners to ensure CI policies are applied and GCF requirements are followed.
- When required based on the project calendar, lead the project evaluation process from the drafting of the TOR to the acceptance of the report by the GCF.
- Lead the day-to-day communication with co-implementing and co-executing partners to ensure a high level of coordination within the project.
- Prepare any required updates / summaries on the projects and participate in project-related meetings with the GCF, government, executing entity partners etc.
GCF Concept / Project Development:
- Work with CI staff, consultants and partners at all stages in the project development process by providing technical inputs on climate change adaptation or mitigation to bolster the quality of proposals and ensure alignment with both GCF and CI’s strategies and policies. This includes refinement of project ideas and Concept Notes, assistance on requests for Project Preparation Facility funding, and Full Proposal development.
- Communication and Capacity building on the GCF for CI staff and partners
- Direct communication with CI staff and partners to build understanding of GCF policies and procedures.
- Preparation of occasional presentations and written materials to increase CI and partner knowledge of the GCF.
- Collaboration with CI safeguards, gender, and other thematic experts to build capacity across the organization.
- Based in CI HQ Office in Arlington, VA.
- Travel up to 25% of the time.
- Position requires availability for evening and early morning calls with staff and partners in other time zones.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental science or related field.
- At least 5 years of experience working with project/program design, monitoring, implementation and management in environment, conservation and/or development.
- Professional experience in climate change mitigation or adaptation.
- Demonstrated experience with the implementation of multimillion-dollar projects / programs funded by bilateral / multilateral donors.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret government, multilateral and organization rules and regulations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including ability to summarize complex donor program rules and give constructive feedback.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to interact effectively with all levels of staff and partners from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Capability to develop and implement effective strategies and tactics for accomplishing assigned duties.
- Demonstrated ability to think critically and synthetically across fields and topics.
- Strong ability to work independently and/or remotely, while maintaining productivity.
- Demonstrated ability to work in team environments and cultivate productive partnerships across a diversity of stakeholders.
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills; including public speaking.
- Fluency in French.
- Master degree in field related to the job description.
- Experience in environmental and social impact assessments, development and execution of safeguard management plans.
- Fluency in one or more of the following: Spanish, Portuguese, Indonesian.
To apply please submit your resume, cover letter and references.
Conservation International is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer of minorities, females, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. It is the policy of CI to afford equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment. CI offers reasonable accommodation in the employment process for individuals with disabilities. If you need assistance in the application or hiring process to accommodate a disability, you may request an accommodation at any time. If you require an application accommodation due to a disability, please e-mail your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “accommodation” in the subject line.