INTER-AMERICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK (IDB)
Climate Change Lead/Senior Specialist
NDC Invest Project Leader
The Inter-American Development Bank’s Climate Change Division (CSD/CCS) is seeking a Lead/Senior Specialist to provide technical leadership to support countries in the implementation of their Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) to the Paris Agreement which will facilitate low carbon and climate resilient development.
The team: The IDB’s Climate Change Division (CSD/CCS) partners with stakeholders within the IDB Group and across Latin America and the Caribbean to mobilize resources, generate and disseminate knowledge, and help build institutions to achieve low-carbon and climate-resilient development.
Our culture: Working with us you will be surrounded by a diverse group of people who have years of experience in all types of development fields, including transportation, health, gender and diversity, natural resources and much more.
What you will do: Provide intellectual leadership to support countries in developing their institutional capacities and implement their NDCs; and also supporting institutions across the region with design and implementation of programs that integrate NDCs into national strategies, finances, sectorial plans and policies. This will involve leading a team and working in a highly collaborative way across the IDB, and in partnership with the Inter-American Investment Corporation to: build in-country institutional capacity through technical cooperation and other instruments; facilitate multi-stakeholder dialogues and engagement; identify opportunities for accelerating pipelines of investments and complementary areas of technical cooperation; and promote innovative financial instruments and other measures to mobilize investment and domestic private sector markets.
Projects in which you will work:
- Lead on the planning and execution of the Climate Change Division’s agenda for responding to countries requests for technical and financial support to strengthen institutional capacity and arrangements for NOC implementation, working to build internal coherence, consistency, and adoption of best practices, and by coaching team members and supervising consultants;
- Lead in responding to Ministries of Finance and Sector Ministries requests for support through the NDC Invest platform, including investment plans, finance strategies and budget planning required for implementation of NDCs;
- Lead a team to develop NDC Invest across the IDB Group to align relevant resources in support of countries’ climate agendas, identifying and facilitating innovative and effective delivery mechanisms;
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with key public, private, and civil society institutions engaged in climate action based on a strong understanding of climate policy, legislation, regulations, and organizations,
- Lead the design and execution of complex loans and technical assistance grants to support clients with climate change and sustainable development actions, particularly to support institutional capacity building for low carbon and climate resilient development;
- Lead in identifying and overseeing analytical research needed to enhance countries’ policy, regulatory, legislative and financing capacity for NDC implementation.
- Work with key internal and external stakeholders and media to develop knowledge and communications products to reinforce countries objectives as relates to the NDC Invest platform and identify and develop opportunities for raising awareness, disseminating information, and generating multi-stakeholder dialogues;
- Collaborate with teams working to mainstream climate change across the IDB, including delivering Governors resolutions to double climate financed activities by 2020; the climate change and sustainability sector framework; and cross-cutting objectives of climate change and environmental sustainability as described in the IDB’s Update to the Institutional Strategy 2010-2020.
- Master’s degree in economics, public policy, finance, business, engineering, applied science or a related discipline. PhD desirable.
- A minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience is required. 10 years of experience working in climate change policy and/or finance, with a minimum of five (5) years working within or closely with Government is highly desirable. Experience engaging with the private sector and/or working within an international context is also strongly desired.
Areas of Expertise:
- Proven leadership skills;
- program development and management;
- deep understanding of the climate change global policy context and of institutional barriers and decision-making processes within a domestic policy context;
- strong knowledge of climate change finance and instruments to mobilize the private sector;
- understanding of approaches to measuring and reporting on mitigation and resilience/adaptation actions; and,
- a broad understanding of climate implications across multiple sectors and regions in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Languages: Excellent command of two official languages of the IDB, in this case English and Spanish, however Portuguese and French are also a plus.
- Technical Sector Dialogue: Engages in policy dialogue based on solid knowledge of the sector, development challenges of client countries, and IDB policies, strategies and guidelines.
- Sector Development: Takes action to promote sector priorities based on country and regional needs and key IDB priorities.
- Economic and Sector Work: Develops and applies economic and/or sector analytic work to support the preparation of country, sector and regional strategies and country dialogue, loan operations and technical assistance programs.
- Project Analysis and Design: Conceptualizes, prepares and participates in the approval of projects and programs (loans and technical cooperations), in coordination with other team members and the respective authorities.
- Change Management: Formulates and implements integrated change proposals to contribute to sector modernization and transformation in borrowing countries.
- Project Supervision: Effectively supports the execution of projects and programs to maximize their results.
- Monitoring and Evaluation: Designs and implements effective monitoring and evaluation methodologies for projects and programs.
- Developing People and Teams to Deliver Results: Builds talent and capability inside the organization through coaching, mentoring, training, developmental assignments and knowledge sharing.
- Innovation and Creativity: Develops imaginative ideas and solutions through creativity, experimentation and critical thinking.
- Communication and Influence: Communicates effectively and leverages relationships and strategies to influence others.
- Client Focus: Understands client needs and provides services that meet their expectations for quality and performance; meets the Bank’s expectations for ethical behavior
About us: At the Inter-American Development Bank, we’re devoted to improving lives. Since 1959, we’ve been a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social, and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. We do more than lending though. We partner with our 48 member countries to provide Latin America and the Caribbean with cutting-edge research about relevant development issues, policy advice to inform their decisions, and technical assistance to improve on the planning and execution of projects. For this, we need people who not only have the right skills, but also are passionate about improving lives.
The IDB offers a competitive benefits and compensation package.
The IDB is committed to diversity and inclusion and to providing equal opportunities in employment. We embrace diversity on the basis of gender, age, education, national origin, ethnic origin, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, and HIV/AIDs status. We encourage women, Afro-descendants and persons of indigenous origins to apply.
Primary Location: HQ-US-Washington DC
Job Posting: Jun 16, 2017, 7:00:00 AM
Closing Date: Jul 6, 2017, 6:59:00 AM
Contact Name – External: Jobs Online
Contact Email – External: email@example.com