Location: Washington, D.C.
Sector: Non Profit
Experience: Early Career / Mid Career
World Resources Institute seeks a Climate Data & Policy Outreach Lead who will play an integral role at WRI by leading new climate data and policy work that will advance climate action within the United States and throughout the world. This position is an opportunity for someone to lead the development of impactful data and analytical tools, policy research, and partnerships to help cities and subnational entities progress on climate actions.
The key responsibility of the Outreach Lead will be to develop and implement the overall outreach strategy of an online cities GHG inventory data portal for the U.S. cities and cities in selected other nations to help municipalities develop GHG inventories in support of local climate actions. This initiative will be performed in collaboration with globally-renowned organizations, including the Global Covenant of Mayors, ICLEI, C40, Google, NASA, as well as national governments across the globe.
The position includes working with grantees, partners, and key national and international stakeholders to drive change, and ensure timely implementation of the products through vendor and sub-grant support. The position will work together with senior and management staff to ensure full engagement of WRI programs and external stakeholders.
A successful candidate will have demonstrated abilities working in varied cross-cultural contexts, developing and managing meaningful partnerships with a diverse range of stakeholders, as well as knowledge of national and international systems and interests. The tool and related products will be developed with numerous internal and external partners, and a successful candidate will need strong interpersonal and consensus-building skills.
Outreach and Coordination (70% of time required)
- Establish, enhance, and coordinate a team of in-country project coordinators and other external relationships with key national and international stakeholders, including national and city government officials, the Global Covenant of Mayors, C40, and other complex partnerships and stakeholder groups.
- Lead the overall outreach strategy and process to engage with U.S. and global cities and national governments around climate action and GHG inventory development.
- Plan the outreach for the online tools together with the central communications teams.
- Building and maintaining relationships with governments through regular in-country meetings.
- Coordinate presentations and trainings around the use of data tools and research.
Project Management (30% of time required)
- Monitor and report in-country partner performance against budget, milestones, and donor reporting.
- Manage grants with in-country consulting staff for country engagement and data collection.
- Manage outreach staff.
- Coordinate partnerships with external organizations that will contribute to a holistic outreach strategy tailored to the needs of regions and specific countries.
- Facilitate and support in-country presentation of new products at workshops and other internal and external events.
- Engage and coordinate with WRI colleagues across programs and countries.
- Assist in developing overall program strategy and prioritizing of research and project activities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field in Economics, Environmental Science, Environmental Policy, Sustainability Science, International Relations, or related.
- Minimum 2-3 years of full-time work experience involving climate action, international engagement, project management, and high-level relationship management.
- Project management experience including budget and deliverable management.
- Good understanding of the international climate policy, including UNFCCC processes, mitigation policies and climate actions.
- Ability to work with complex partnerships and manage large stakeholder groups.
- Ability to connect the importance of partnerships with measurable external change.
- Prior supervision and mentorship of one or more junior staff.
- Exceptionally good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical research skills and strategic thinking.
- Detail-oriented and organized thinker who can juggle multiple, competing priorities.
- Ability to travel greater than 50% of the time.
Master’s Degree in related field of Economics, Environmental Science, Environmental Policy, Sustainability Science, International Relations, or related
Qualified applicants must apply online at www.wri.org/careers in order to be considered.