Amec Foster Wheeler is currently recruiting a Principal Climate Resilience Consultant to be based in our Munich office. We are seeking to expand our international environmental policy, economics and sustainability teams by appointing a Principal Consultant specialising in climate resilience, climate risk assessment and adaptation. Also, we are intending to grow our regional footprint in Southern Germany and Austria and therefore we combine this role with the leadership role of the office manager for Munich with a strong focus on Business Development activities.
Our European team is at the forefront of providing policy, technical, sustainability and economic advice on the development and implementation of environmental policy and climate change. As well as climate resilience, the team focuses on air quality, chemicals, water policy, infrastructure and sustainable development. We work with the European Commission, UK and other European government departments, international agencies, trade associations, multi-national companies and corporations across Europe and beyond.
Our projects directly help to influence the development, implementation and improvement of environmental and climate policy, and climate resilience addressing some of the most challenging global issues.
Examples of recent projects around the world include: Urban Design, Master Planning and Implementation; Strategic Flood Risk Assessments; Seismic Resilience, Structural Assessment and Retrofits; Water Resources Management; Historic Rehabilitation and Storm Surge Mitigation; Assessment of Climate and Energy Reporting Requirements; Local Hazard Mitigation Plans; Resilient Infrastructure Planning; Climate Adaptation Advisory Services for Investment, Insurance and Banking; and Climate Resilience Strategy Development.
We are seeking someone who is inspired to contribute toward business development and client-facing activities, is keen to lead and develop a local team, is strong in managing individual projects and writing winning proposals.
Leading a local team and contribute to international, multi-disciplinary teams, you will be responsible for the growth and the development of Amec Foster Wheeler’s Munich office.
Skills / Qualifications
The ideal candidate will be qualified to a Master’s degree level or above in a climate-related discipline; environmental policy, climate science, engineering, law, environmental economics, social sciences, geography or a closely related subject. We would typically expect 8 to 10 years’ of relevant experience within consultancy, government, research or industry.
You will have experience in leading teams and are used to handle successfully the operational duties of the day to day business within an engineering and consultancy office.
You will have competence and experience in the majority of the following areas:
- Knowledge of climate projections and the science underlying them
- Ability to analyze and interpret climate projections for application in a climate resilience assessment (of infrastructure, of geographic regions, of policies and/or other business units)
- Ability to communicate key messages from climate projections to non-technical audiences (including communicating probability),
- Familiarity with UK / European climate projections and their application,
- Knowledge of key climate impacts, risks and adaptation strategy and/or policy solution development
- Conducting climate change risk assessments and/or climate resilience analyses: identifying climate risks for a variety of business areas i.e. delivery of a service, and/or physical infrastructure development and/or for geographic areas
- Implementation of climate resilience and/or adaptation measures in a commercial and/or public sector setting
- Flexibility to take on work in other areas to balance work load as necessary such as policy (climate mitigation or adaptation, chemicals, energy), water management, or other areas within the business
You will also have competence and experience in the following areas
- Develop existing and new client relationships
- Generate new business leads and identify opportunities for new service offerings
- Write proposals to bid for and secure new work
- Scope, plan, monitor and execute project methodologies
- Client and subcontractor communication and management
- Organisation of staff resources, including coordination across multiple projects to set priorities
- Ability to plan ahead and work to deadlines
- Set, manage and monitor project budgets and expenses
- Excellent English language communication skills
- Additional European language skills desirable
- Ability to interface with clients and stakeholder engagement skills
- Proven analytical and data manipulation skills
- Clear and effective presentation and facilitation skills
- Proactive networker in the climate science, mitigation and adaptation areas
- Commercial acumen
You should have the ability to interact with clients and policy makers at national and/or international level and to write reports in English to a professional standard.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.