Requisition ID: 2017-17064
Department/Discipline: Engineering – Consultancy
Vacancy Type/Position Type: Staff/Permanent
Amec Foster Wheeler is currently seeking to expand our Infrastructure, Resilience and Sustainability team by appointing a Technical Director / Associate Director specialising in Resilience Engineering, Climate Resilience and Infrastructure in either our London, Reading, Bristol, or Leamington Spa offices. Amec Foster Wheeler is a global partner of choice for major infrastructure development. Drawing on over 36,000 people worldwide we guide our customers through all phases of major project development from consenting to construction, operation and decommissioning.
We are a diverse business providing environmental and engineering services to customers spanning all of Amec Foster Wheeler’s markets and sectors. Our long experience of delivering major infrastructure globally across a range of sectors means we understand what successful project delivery looks and feels like and has helped us to develop the ‘Amec Foster Wheeler way’. In turn this has facilitated the development of our own cutting edge, innovative project management tools which ensure efficient delivery of complex projects on time and to budget. Our team is at the forefront of providing infrastructure and resilience engineering to clients around the world, we work with the UK and other European government departments, international agencies, the European Commission, trade associations, multi-national companies and corporations across UK, Europe, the US and beyond. Our projects directly influence the development, implementation and improvement of infrastructure and resilience addressing some of the most challenging global issues.
Working within and across international, multi-disciplinary teams, you will provide leadership in resilience engineering, climate risk and resilience, and implementation analyses and delivery, you will manage and oversee technical measures on major infrastructure projects and programmes; conduct specialist engineering work and analyses and carry out stakeholder consultations. You will be able to draft reports, edit and finalise, and deliver verbal presentations in English to a high standard. Alongside project delivery, we are seeking someone who can manage individual and multiple projects, write winning proposals, contribute toward business development and client-facing activities, coordinate a team of staff and aid the development of more junior colleagues.
What we offer you
We offer a competitive salary, a defined contribution pension and benefits package including cycle to work scheme, childcare vouchers and high street discounts. You will have a structured induction and development plan, with excellent opportunities and training for long term career development. You will have the opportunity to influence the development of Infrastructure and Resilience Engineering in a friendly, hardworking team within a global organisation, with potential for international travel and client interaction. You will be joining a well-respected business and will play a key role in delivering our ambitious strategy for consolidation and growth.
Skills / Qualifications
The ideal candidate will be qualified to a Master’s degree level or above in an engineering and/or climate-related discipline or a closely related subject. We would typically expect a minimum of 15 to 20 years of relevant experience within consultancy, government and/or industry.
You will have competence and experience in the majority of the following areas:
- Knowledge of key climate impacts, risks and adaptation strategy and/or policy solution development
- Conducting climate change risk assessments and/or climate resilience analyses: identifying climate risks for a variety of business areas i.e. delivery of a service, and/or physical infrastructure development and/or for geographic areas
- Ability to analyse and interpret climate projections for application in a climate resilience assessment (of infrastructure, of geographic regions, of policies and/or other business units)
- Implementation of climate resilience and/or adaptation measures in a commercial and/or public sector setting
- Flexibility to take on work in other areas to balance work load as necessary such as policy (climate mitigation or adaptation, chemicals, energy), water management, or other areas within the business
- Ability to communicate key messages from climate projections to non-technical audiences (including communicating probability),
- Familiarity with UKCP09 climate projections and their application
- Climate finance.
You will also have competence and experience in the following areas:
- Lead proposals to bid for and secure new work
- Generate new business leads and identify opportunities for new service offerings
- Develop existing and new client relationships
- Scope, plan, monitor and execute project methodologies
- Client and subcontractor communication and management
- Organisation of staff resources, including coordination across multiple projects to set priorities
- Ability to plan ahead and work to deadlines
- Set, manage and monitor project staff, budgets and expenses
- Excellent English language communication skills
- Additional European language skills desirable
- Ability to interface with clients and stakeholder engagement skills
- Proven analytical and data manipulation skills
- Clear and effective presentation and facilitation skills
- Proactive networker in the infrastructure, engineering and climate resilience areas
- Commercial acumen
You should have the ability to interact with clients and policy makers at national and/or international level and to write reports in English to a professional standard.
It would be advantageous to demonstrate experience of the following:
Familiarity with UK / European guidance on application of climate projections and climate risk in different settings, e.g. town and country planning, Environment Agency flood risk assessment requirements, energy/nuclear safety planning requirements. Familiarity with the process of policy development and implementation; evaluation of technical and policy measures; cost-benefit analysis; data collection, validation and analysis.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.