Climate Central is looking for a senior communications leader to direct all aspects of our external communications and media relations work, with concentration in three main areas—organizational positioning and branding, federal government relations, and local media relations.
- Develop and implement a strategic positioning plan for the organization to build, grow, and protect the Climate Central brand
- Work with Climate Central’s staff researchers, senior science writers, news editors and climate scientists to develop a consistent voice and execute messages and media strategies across all platforms for our content. These include research reports on climate and energy, work with TV weather forecasters nationwide, the World Weather Attribution program, Surging Seas level-rise program, and relationships with external partners, including other climate change communications groups
- Build and maintain relationships with key reporters, producers, bloggers and writers, with a strong emphasis on local media coverage of Climate Central content around the nation
- Expand media coverage and impact of all Climate Central content across all platforms, including social media
- Manage Climate Central’s ongoing tracking of media pickup and evaluation of the impact and success of our communications and reporting
- With CEO and consultants, develop and manage an effective federal government relations strategy and program
- Professional education, training, and experience in developing and executing communications plans for public information campaigns. Specific experience in media relations, government relations, and strategic communications highly desirable, but not necessarily all three required
- Flexibility, entrepreneurship, and capacity to learn new skills critically important
- 5-10 years leadership and management experience in a multi-service communications group
- Relationships with key players in environmental, energy, and mainstream media, demonstrated success in leading efforts to build brand identity, and media coverage of an organization
- Ability to lead a team dealing with breaking stories in the news cycle, in a deadline environment
Climate Central is a growing, non-profit organization of scientists and communicators with an entrepreneurial atmosphere whose mission is to convey the science and impacts of climate change to wide audiences. We are dedicated to delivering strong, clear, fact-based messages and scientifically founded content on climate change and energy to a broad, general audience and to decision-makers across the political spectrum. Climate Central is not an advocacy organization and does not lobby or support any specific legislation, policy or bill.
Location: This position is located at Climate Central’s headquarters in Princeton, NJ.
Compensation: Climate Central offers a very competitive salary that is commensurate with experience and an excellent benefits package.
How to Apply: Interested candidates should e-mail a cover letter explaining how your skills and background fit this position, along with a resume, to Iveta Weinberg at firstname.lastname@example.org. Refer to Communications Director Job in the subject line. All correspondence will remain confidential.
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, Climate Central is unable to respond to each application. Applicants will be contacted if selected as a candidate for this position. No phone calls please.
Diversity: Climate Central strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and as such do not discriminate against any applicant for employment or employee on the basis of race, color, religious creed, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination laws.