About The Climate Group
The Climate Group is an award-winning, international non-profit. We specialize in bold, catalytic and high-impact climate and energy initiatives with the world’s leading businesses and state and regional governments. Our work is at the forefront of ambitious climate action.
Our vision is a world of prosperous ‘net-zero’ emission economies and thriving, sustainable societies.
Our mission is to catalyze climate leadership in government and business to accelerate the shift to a thriving and prosperous, ‘net-zero’ future for all. We do this by communicating to inform, convening to connect, and collaborating to scale and succeed.
Founded in 2004, our offices are located in Beijing, New Delhi, New York and London.
About the role
Over the past decade, The Climate Group has been working with state and regional governments globally, to help them achieve ambitious climate targets. This work has helped to develop a new generation of climate and energy policies that are focused on measurement, reporting and transparency, driving standards of climate leadership globally.
Through our States & Regions activities, we have been promoting global climate leadership through our States & Regions Alliance; helping to accelerate the shift to a ‘net-zero’ emissions future through the Under2 Coalition; encouraging the sharing and scaling of policies through Policy Innovation, and are demonstrating impact through the Compact of States and Regions.
In recent years, we have seen new initiatives such as the Under2 Coalition, the Compact of States and Regions, and the Energy Transition Platform significantly increase our impact and expand our connections with sub-national governments globally. In 2017, The Climate Group aims to bring together these initiatives to create a single, larger and stronger coalition of sub-national governments, mobilized to take impactful action on climate change in priority regions. In order to grow the reach and remit of this work, it is essential that we develop and deliver a compelling new communications and positioning strategy.
In light of these new developments, we are looking for a senior and strategic communications professional, who can lead on the development and execution of our communications activities in this area. Reporting to the Head of International Communications, you will be responsible for developing a communications strategy that:
- positions the Under2 Coalition as a leading, ‘one of a kind’ global climate change initiative;
- positions state and regional governments as leading climate actors globally;
- connects with and inspires greater climate action by other governments (at all levels); and,
- positions The Climate Group as a leading convener of states and regions on climate.
The role will require someone who is comfortable in being able to pivot between taking a strategic approach and tactical delivery. This role would suit somebody with experience of working right across the full communications mix, with strong experience of media relations.
You will also support the team in developing other brand communications activities as directed by the Head of International Communications.
This is a full-time, fixed-term contract position (12-months) with potential to become
permanent. You will be based in The Climate Group’s headquarters in Central London, and will also work with our offices in North America, China and India.
You will be experienced in leading on the development of integrated communications strategies, with clear objectives, messaging, stakeholder engagement, channel development and audience engagement plans for complex initiatives.
You will be adept at working effectively across a matrix of stakeholders at all levels. As a selfstarter, you will able to work with minimal supervision, and comfortable working flexibly in an evolving landscape.
- Significant experience of communications strategy development & execution
- Experience of working confidently with policy leaders to translate organizational goals into a clear and coherent communications strategy
- Excellent program / project management skills, with gravitas to lead stakeholders at all levels effectively in an integrated, matrix structure
- Experience of working across all communications channels, including, but not limited to, media, events, newsletters, digital & marketing
- Strong editorial and asset development skills across a breadth of communications
- Experience of recruiting and leading relationships with external agencies
- Experience of recruiting and line managing teams
- A data driven individual with strong experience in evaluating programs of work, and able to demonstrate the value of communications in achieving business objectives
- Ability to prioritize effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Budget management
- Experience of working internationally
- Experience of working with high-profile political stakeholders
- Experience of working in the climate change / not-for-profit sector
You will be based in our London Head Office, in County Hall, which is a five-minute walk from Waterloo station.
Terms and conditions
The role is a full-time post for fixed term period of twelve months, with potential to extend or become permanent. We offer a competitive salary based on experience plus:
- 25 days holiday pro rata, plus public holidays
- 10% non-contributory pension scheme on completion of probation
- Private healthcare on completion of probation
- Subsidized gym membership
- Season ticket loan
How to apply
For further information or an informal discussion, please contact Lenka Brabazon, HR Adviser, on LBrabazon@TheClimateGroup.org. Applications by CV and cover letter. The closing date for submitting your application is March 24, 2017.
Due to the high volume of applications, we are unable to notify unsuccessful applicants. If you have not been notified of the outcome of your application within four weeks of the closing date, please assume you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.